Chapter Ninteen

The video was of Becca. She was tied to a chair, and she was covered in bruises.

            “Oh my God…” he whispered, “Oh Rebecca…”

          Then, she spoke, “Hello Owen, dear Torchwood, I miss you all. I hope Tori and Ari are alright…I trust Owen is keeping them running,” Becca paused to take a breath and then continued, “Tyler wants me to assure you that I am okay, and that he won’t kill me… Yet.”

               “Oh God…” Owen began shaking in anger as Becca kept speaking. Light was completely gone from her eyes, and her skin was pale. She looked like the ghost of the bright spirit she once was.

            “Tyler will return me to you, but it will come at a cost. A life for a life. If Tori makes it, Tyler will trade me for Tori,” Becca’s voice cracked as she spoke the last sentence, “At one PM, on Wednesday, two days from now, if you want to go through with it, we will make the trade at Cardiff Bay. If you do not show,” Becca’s bottom lip quivered and she looked like she was going to cry, “Tyler will kill me on the spot, no matter how many witnesses. Good luck trying to catch Tyler. God bless.” The video stopped.

            A tear trickled down Owen’s face, but he wiped it away quickly.

            “Owen?” Gwen saw Owen’s pain and she ran over, Jeff following. Owen didn’t look at them, he just read the rest of the message:

            I hope you enjoyed that Owen, but if you didn’t, I hope to see you soon. Maybe we can work it out then. Good luck to you, and send Tori my love.

            Owen looked at Gwen, “It’s a message from Tyler.”

            Gwen’s eyes widened, “What?” She rushed over and looked at the screen.

            “He wants Tori in trade for Becca…” his voice shook.

          Gwen called everyone around, but Ari was forced to stay in her quarters. Owen played the video and they all stared in shock.

            “What do we do?” Tosh asked, and they all turned to Jack.

            “Do we make the trade?” Ianto asked.

            “No!” Jack growled at Ianto, “We’ll figure something out; somehow, we’ll get them both.”

            Unsure what to do, Owen spent the next hour getting Tori strong enough to where she could wake up. When her eyes finally fluttered open, Owen breathed a sigh of relief.

            “Hello Tori,” Owen said, not being able to smile.

            “…Owen…” she frowned and studied him closely, “What’s going on?”

            The little light in Owen’s eyes vanished, “I’ll let Jack explain.” Then he turned away and walked out of the room.

            Owen sent Jack in. She demanded to watch the video, and no matter how much Jack protested, he couldn’t talk her out of it. Owen and Jack sat with her as she watched it, tears glistening in her eyes, but a determined expression. Jack and Owen began discussing what to do, when Tori yelled, “Quiet! I hear something!”

            They all stayed quiet, and found Tori was right. Besides Becca’s voice, there was a continuous tapping noise.

            “What is that?” Owen asked, confused.

            “…It’s Morse Code,” Tori responded, “If I’m right…she’s telling us to leave her… She says that I have too much to give to our group, and that she’s just a doctor…” Tori’s voice came to a whisper, “She says that you can get a doctor anywhere…” Tori burst into tears, and Jack comforted her the best he could. Owen sat there, unable to move, and thinking deeply.