Mr. McLoughlin (Jack)

(Word Count: 1616)

You hated your school. It was awful; everybody was either too posh to be real or too obnoxious to be nice. You hated everyone around you, including most of your teachers. English, U.S. history, geometry, French, computer science, gym; there were only two teachers in that school that you could actually deal with.

They were both really cool people that were in their early twenties, the only two in the district with dyed hair. Mr. Fischbach was a close family friend, and you opted to eat lunch with him every day rather than sit by yourself in the loud lunchroom. He was really kind and understanding, but he tended to play Devil's advocate when you complained about an issue. He taught music, and his class wasn't difficult.

Mr. McLoughlin, on the other hand, was your favorite teacher. He, unlike Mr. F, tended to agree with you on almost everything you complained about. He understood you more than Mr. F, and he treated you like a friend more than a student. Out of the few similarities between the two, they both let you call them by their first names when other faculty members weren't around. You loved calling Mr. McLoughlin by his first name; it always made him smile, and you loved it when he smiled.

You were great in his class, always paying attention when he taught. You loved listening to him speak, and there was nothing more enticing than hearing him speak about important projects or fun class assignments. Science was a subject that you always excelled in, but his class challenged you and you loved a good challenge.

You had an issue, though. You were in love with Mr. McLoughlin. He was so kind and welcoming and just pleasant to be around. There was nothing better than him visiting you and Mr. F while you were eating lunch. He sometimes ate with you, and you'd have a great time. There was nothing better than eating lunch with people that you're close to. Mr. F knew about your feelings, only because you trusted his opinion enough to hear what he had to say. But he remained mostly silent about it. You wanted answers, and you intended to get them.

"Hey Mark!" you said happily, sitting at the empty desk in his office. You placed your lunch box on the desk gently, watching as Mr. F shut his plan book.

"Hey Y/N," he replied, grabbing his lunch from the mini fridge behind him. "How's your day going?"

"Awful like usual," You said tiredly. You never got used to waking up early, and it took its toll.

"Its 'cause you haven't had my class yet," Mr. McLoughlin said as he passed by. He shot you a wink, turning away before he could see you blush. Mark, as though having some sixth sense, shut the door and drew the blinds, providing you with the privacy you needed to talk about your issue.

"I need advise. I don't want to ruin his career or my future over some crush."

"Honestly, Y/N, I really think that you guys would be good for each other. I haven't said anything until now because I would expect you to practically jump into his arms in the middle of the hallway and try to make out with him. But really, with graduation only a month and a half away, there's only time to stand in between you two. Once the school year is officially over and you've graduated, you guys will legally be able to be together." You smiled, another thought immediately popping into your head.

"And if he doesn't like me back?" Mark smiled, looking at you from over his glasses.

"That won't be an issue."

***

The weather was terrible, but it only barely put a dent in your mood. You were ecstatic at the thought of finally getting to be with Mr. McLough- er - Jack. With Jack. You had run to the shop to get some chapstick and a tube of Pringles, both of which you were running low on. It was beyond freezing outside, the temperature dipping into single digits. You had nothing but a small coat and a beanie on, no gloves to cover your freezing hands.