New Year's Kiss (Mark)

(Word Count: 1000ish)

You laughed at Jack's stupid pun, slapping your leg as you struggled to breathe. You never laughed at the Irishman's jokes, so it was evident that the four shots of Absolut and three bottles of Coors finally settled in. You were having the time of your life, not only because of the alcohol, but because you got to spend the night hanging out with your three best friends in the world.

Signe shook her head, a small smile gracing her plump pink lips. She would be Jack's designated driver for the night, not wanting to partake in getting absolutely hammered and risking driving home drunk. Jack smiled up at her and poked her cheek, his glass nearly empty. He had consumed more alcohol than you, the cliché Irish in him coming out to play. He had taken five shots of Jack Daniel's, chugged a six pack of Coors, and was currently working on finishing a small bottle of Smirnoff. Signe refused to let him drink straight up Vodka, bringing along a jug of Hawaiian Punch to mix it with.

Mark sat on the floor on the other side of the coffee table, half paying attention to Jack, half paying attention to New Year's Eve broadcast from Time Square. He giggled at the green haired lad's joke, not a drop of alcohol in his system. He wasn't supposed to drink (doctor's orders) and he didn't plan on it. He'd need to drive himself home later in the night anyway, so it was a good thing that he wasn't drinking.

"Do you want me to get you another drink?" you asked Jack as he finished his glass.

"Yes please. But wait," he looked to Mark, "didn't you bring those really tall glasses?" The red head nodded slowly. "Will you go down to your car and get them? Please? I want to finish off my bottle before midnight." You rolled your eyes at the dainty drunk, standing up from your seat.

"I'll go with you, Mark. Let's just satisfy his drunk ass so that we can blackmail him later." Mark grinned ear to ear, getting up from his spot on the floor. He followed you to the door, the both of you slipping on your shoes and heading out into the hallway. "Don't have sex while we're gone!"

"No promises!" Jack shouted back. You and Mark giggled as you shut the door, getting into the small metal elevator and hitting the button to go to the lobby.

"So why do you even have large drinking glasses in your car? It's a really random thing to have."

"Yeah, well Bob and Wade wanted to make a video of us chugging really weird shit, and we never ended up doing it. I've just been too lazy to get them out of my car, I guess." You nodded in understanding, exiting the elevator as soon as the doors opened. You really didn't trust leaving Jack alone in your apartment. Signe may be there, but Lord knows that Jack had his ways.

***

You were back up in the apartment, only about three minutes left until midnight. Mark had agreed to being your New Year's kiss, and you didn't mind all that much. In fact, you were almost entirely sure that you'd enjoy it. You never really thought about having a relationship with Mark before; he was just a really good friend. But after a bit of thinking, you realized that it would probably be really great to be in a relationship with him.

Two minutes left. The four of you were sitting together on the couch, Signe sitting on Jack's lap to compensate for the lack of space. You were squished up against Mark, the two of you not seeming to mind.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind, but after the clock hits midnight, Jack and I have to go," Signe stated. "We have things to do tomorrow. Sorry for not telling you sooner."

"Oh, it's no problem," you stated, glancing at the red head next to you. He caught your gaze. "Mark here can help me clean up."

One minute left, and Mark still hadn't torn his eyes away from yours. You couldn't tell why his gorgeous brown eyes intrigued you so much, but you were incapable of looking away.

Thirty seconds, Jack and Signe were making hilarious comments about the badly dressed man on TV. You could barely hear them, trapped in a silent conversation with Mark. He spoke with his eyes; gentle compliments and hushed questions. Do you still want to do this? Am I coming off too strong? Am I making you uncomfortable? A small smile graced your lips, relieving him of his stress.

Ten...nine...eight...

He leaned in close, his arms settling on your waist. The world around the two of you slowly faded away.

Seven...six...five...

His nose brushed against your, only a few centimeters in between your lips.

Four...three...two...

He smiled wide, his eyes fluttering closed. You did the same, a rush of adrenaline pumping through your veins.

One.

His lips met yours. They were soft, a wonderful feeling against your slightly chapped lips. They tasted of honey and lemon, a taste that sent your senses soaring. He smiled into the kiss; he obviously felt just as blithe about the experience that the two of you were sharing. It lasted a few moments, the two of you reluctantly pulling apart.

"Happy New Year," he whispered. The two of you had the widest smiles on your faces.

"Alright, guys, we're out!" Jack yelled, jumping off of the couch. Him and Signe were gone within a minute.

"So," Mark said, trailing off.

"So?" you responded, a questioning tone in your voice.

"Would it be wrong if I said that I enjoyed that?" he asked. You shook your head. "Would it be wrong if I didn't want it to end?" You shook your head again. "Would it be wrong if I wanted to do it again?" A smile broke out across your face, a matching one spreading across Mark's.

"Not at all."

******
Happy New Year's guys! I don't mean to draw to much attention, but yesterday was mine and Andy's birthday! Yes, we share a birthday. It's a strange coincidence that date has brought us together and I love it. Sorry that this part didn't come out yesterday, I had over some friends and we were up super late doing stupid shit.

Anywho, I've got one more big chapter coming out before winter break is over and I start back up with school. It's honestly quite amazing, but that's only because it was written by the great Andromeda herself, and the author's note at the end it really informative, so make sure you read it.

Happy reading,

Allie B.