November (New Story)

I walked quietly out the front door of my apartment, carefully locking the door behind me. If I made too much noise, the neighbor's dog would wake up and start barking, and Lord knows that I was not in the mood for that. I walked lightly to the door to the stairwell. The elevator in my building was either always broken or always about to break, so I opted to take the stairwell every single day. It kept me in shape, so I wasn't complaining.

I pushed the heavy door open and let it swing shut behind me. Beginning my trek down nine flights of stairs I took my phone out of my back pocket and plugged my earphones into the jack. I couldn't find a good playlist to listen to while I walked so I just shuffled all the tracks I had in my library. I smiled as Seven Nation Army began to play, the deep sounds of the opening bass vibrating wonderfully in my head. I was always a sucker for a sick bass line.

As I walked down the sidewalk, my feet hitting the ground with the tempo of the song, I noticed a homeless man playing a trumpet across the street from me. I wanted desperately to drop a five in the case sitting in front of him. But alas, I was already running late. I shook my head and continued to walk with the beat of the song.

I arrived at my destination three songs later. Hanging up my jacket in the guest closet, I hummed Trees by Twenty-One Pilots. It was going to be stuck in my head all night, I realized, smiling softly at the realization. I left the closet and began walking down the hall towards the meeting hall, checking the time on my phone. It was just my luck to bump into someone as soon as I looked down at the small device in my hands. I looked up and immediately mumbled an apology, a slight blush forming on my already flushed cheeks.

"It's fine," the man replied with a smile. The first thing I noticed was his height. It was an odd first thing to notice, I later realized, seeing as his hair was bright green and he had a European accent as smooth and thick as butter. He was only a few inches shorter, yet it seemed like quite a bit when I was so close. I backed up a bit and chuckled.

"I've got to run. Sorry again," I stated in a mental panic, once again walking towards my meeting hall. I realized, after a few minutes of complete and utter confusion, that I was early. I had forgotten to set my phone's time back after attempting to glitch an app, so I was ten minutes early sitting in an empty room full of empty chairs. Sighing, I took my normal seat at the very back of the room and waited, scrolling through Twitter the entire time. I retweeted some things, replied to other things, saved some memes; the usual. It wasn't until the room started filling with people that I put my phone away, doing a double take as I saw the man I ran into earlier enter the room. I shrank down in my chair and pretended I didn't exist in the hopes that he wouldn't see me, and for a short moment, I thought he didn't. And then he looked back. He blushed, and I was almost certain I did too, hiding my face in my hands and praying that God strike me down where I sat.

Luckily, he sat in the front. He was new, I thought, so he would obviously sit up front near the meeting leader. My heart dropped as I made a realization: whenever there were new members to the group, everyone would have to introduce themselves. I mentally facepalmed as the meeting leader instructed us to turn our chairs into a circle so that we could all see each other. I didn't take my eyes off of the ground once I was in my position.

Everyone introduced themselves, most of them I'd heard several times before. A couple of them were new, some of the stories changed depending on how their lives were going at the time. I ignored each and everyone of them, too caught up in rehearsing my story over in over in my head so that I didn't mess it up. I know, it sounds stupid, but when you're surrounded by a bunch of judgmental recovering addicts that look like they could kill you, you want to make sure your story is straight.

His voice caught my attention. I snapped my head up at the sound of him speaking, blushing when I realized how it probably looked. I shrank back in my seat, not taking my eyes off of his body as he stood talking. He noticed my staring, and I could tell I made him nervous. I smirked as he blushed, suddenly gaining some confidence.

"M-my name is Seán," he stated first, his voice wavering. He took a deep breath as the crowd mumbled hello. "I'm 18 and I was addicted to delauded. I got caught up in the wrong crowd in year 11 back in Ireland. I went out with some friends one night and my parents found me the next morning foaming at the mouth with needle holes in my arms. They flew me out here for my treatment and then got sick of me, so now I live with my aunt and uncle."

Several things crossed my mind. First off: he was only 18? He looked like he could be in his late twenties! And his accent; it seemed European, I knew that, but Irish? I guess the green hair made sense. I wanted to ask him so many things about himself. He just looked so...welcoming. Like a warm fireplace on a cold winter's day. I just wanted to surround myself in what he was like he were a blanket. I wanted to know everything he had to said. If he had written a book I would have read it over and over until I could recite it from heart. I barely knew him but I was already entranced by him.

"Next!" the meeting leader said loudly. I groaned internally as I realized it was my turn to speak. The man sitting next to me sat down as I stood up. Seán's attention was instantly mine, and I smirked slightly as I looked over at him.

"My name is Mark," I stated smoothly, allowing the circle to say their hellos. He didn't say it. "I'm 23 and I'm a recovering alcoholic. I was engaged to a beautiful woman and we had a wonderful daughter. My drinking got bad a few months into our engagement. My brother thought that I should enjoy myself while I was still unmarried. It got bad. And I lost the two most important ladies in my life." I sat down while the guy next to me stood up. I looked over to Seán to see him looking me dead in the eyes. I smirked slightly, staring back without hesitation. He blushed slightly, looking down at the ground. I smirked wider.

When the meeting was over, I wanted so desperately to talk to him. But I didn't. I walked right out of the meeting hall with my jacket in hand. He stopped me as soon as I was outside the building, about to walk back home. I had just put my jacket on, the early winter chill settling in.

"Mark, hey wait up!" he yelled out to me, cradling his arms as he jogged over to me. I let out a confused breath and watched it billow in front of me.

"What's up?" I responded cooly. I didn't need him thinking that just by saying my name in that soothing Irish accent of his that I was putty in his hands.

"Why did you keep staring at me?" I wanted to tell him exactly why. I wanted to explain that I thought that he was perfectly imperfect in every way. That I wanted to listen to him speak as often as physically possible. That I wanted to hear everything that's he's ever said and everything that he ever will and everything in between. I wanted him to know that just by looking at me that I felt like every atom in my body was colliding with one another and exploding into itty bitty subatomic particles.

"I don't know," I stated instead of what was really on my mind. "I guess you just seem interesting."

"What do you...i-in a good way?" he asked, shivering a bit. His cheeks were flushed, either from my words or from the cold, I didn't know.

"Yeah. In a good way. You cold there?"

"Y-yeah. Just a bit. I-I'll be f-fine though. I only live about twenty minutes from here."

"I'll walk you home if you'd like? This isn't the sort of city you want to walk around in alone. Especially not in this weather."

"Says the guy about to walk home on his own." I raised and eyebrow and smirked.

"Touché, you Irish bastard. Now am I walking you home or what?"

"S-sure. Thank you." I smiled and took off my jacket, handing it to him as we started walking. "Oh, n-no it's-"

"Don't be stubborn. You're freezing and I can assure you that I'm more stubborn." He hesitated and sighed before putting it on. It was too big for him by just a small bit, making him look absolutely adorable. When he put the hood up I almost forgot how to breathe. He was just so perfect.

I had to get to know him better.

******
Chapter 1 of my new Septiplier story. The first chapter has already been uploaded. Expect updates for November on the 10th, 20th, and 30th of each month.

Happy reading,

Allie B.