Storm Clouds (Jack)

(Word Count: 1551)

The rain pounded forcefully against the awning above you, the incessant rapping of the water against wood filling your ears. The slight chill of the mid-spring day sent goosebumps running up your arms, your hoodie resting on the sofa inside. The patio chair that you sat it wasn't completely safe from the shower that passed over your home; every time the wind blew you'd be dusted with a thin veil of mist. It wasn't something that bothered you. In fact, you enjoyed it. You had purposefully moved your chair to the perfect position where you'd get that layer of mist.

The rain was something that soothed you. The constant pitter-patter of droplets hitting the earth around you combined with the low rumble of thunder calmed you. It lulled you into a relaxed state, one in which all of your stresses, anxieties, and fears disappeared into nothing. You felt as though all of your want to stay in bed and watch YouTube until you fell asleep vanished, replaced by the urge to go outside and feel like one with nature. It was refreshing, like a cleanse for your body, mind, and soul. You loved every moment of it.

The low rumble of thunder echoed across the hills of the world around you, small flashes of lightning striking in the distance. That part of the storm had yet to reach you, and you were excited for it to hit. There was always something about lightning that gave you some sort of high. It was so beautiful and unreal, yet so destructive and - no pun intended - shocking. There was something about it that was just so exhilarating; it seemed too brilliant to be real.

The corners of your lips turned up ever so slightly as another clap of thunder, louder than before, resonated across the land, each low rumble making you feel a little bit more at ease with yourself. You took a deep breath of the fresh, misty air and sunk further into your woven patio chair, closing your eyes to just take in the sounds around you. It was the peacefully chaotic sounds that brought a full smile to your face, the flashes growing nearer and the rumbling becoming more pronounced. The storm was approaching quickly, and you knew that once it got there you'd have to go inside and watch from a window.

Your time outside was short-lived, the back door opening quietly as your beloved boyfriend peered out at you through the screen door. You looked up at him and smiled; this sort of weather always made him look more handsome than the sun could do for him. The dull gray lighting of the early afternoon light made his pale skin seem a little less pale, his green hair a little more vibrant. Both of those contrasted greatly with his stunning blue eyes, so gorgeous that it seemed as though the Caribbean sea resided in his irises. You couldn't help but stare into them every time you looked at him, thinking about how lucky you were to have him.

"Why don't you come inside?" he asked softly, his normally loud voice always lowering when it came to speaking to you. "It's chilly out here and I don't want you to catch a cold."

You sighed, placing your bare feet on the cold cement as you stood from your chair. Jack held the screen door open for you to go through, closing both doors after you. He veered off down the hall as you traveled into the living room, sitting on the sofa that you had purposefully placed in front of the large glass window that took up most of the front wall of the house. It had a small ledge above it to shield it from the rain, so only a few parts of the window were streaked with water. You stared out at the trees around your long driveway thoughtfully, wishing you could be out there underneath one. You knew very well that they protected whatever was under them from whatever fell from the sky, whether it be hail or rain or sleet or snow. They were nature's umbrellas.

You hadn't realized how cold you were until Jack wrapped his warm body around you, pulling your back into his chest. Your bare arms stung at the sudden warmth, but you ignored the feeling.

"Jesus Christ, Y/N," Jack mumbled, rubbing your freezing arms. "This is why I worry about you so much."

"Why, because I sit outside and watch water fall from the sky for hours without getting bored?" you responded, not tearing your eyes away from the world outside your window. A bolt of lightning branched across the sky, its magnificent white flash lighting up the unlit room. You smiled slightly as thunder made the entire house vibrate, one of the only things you liked about being inside during a storm.

"No, it's because you sit out there until you get cold, and then you still don't come inside unless I ask you to," he stated, kissing the top of your head. He laid down on the sofa and pulled you into his chest, draping a blanket over the two of you. You turned your head so that you could see out the window, smiling as you felt Jack's arms wrap around your torso. You pressed your ear against his chest, the sound of his heartbeat pounding softly in one ear while the sounds of the storm outside filtered through the other.

The two of you sat in a comfortable silence as the rain continued to pour mercilessly onto the land outside. Your phone buzzed with a flash flood warning, but you ignored it, staring out the window at the darkening sky. The clouds were thickening to the point where it looked like the sun was going down, but it was too early. A bright flash of light lit up the entire living room, an extremely loud clap of thunder shaking the house vigorously as the lights and fans strewn across the house all turned off. You shuffled a little bit closer to Jack, uncomfortable with the sudden dark that engulfed the house. It wasn't terribly dark, but it wasn't light enough to see much around the house.

You turned your head away from the intense storm outside to ask Jack if he'd help you light some tea lights around the small house. You stopped yourself before you spoke, realizing that he had fallen asleep underneath you. You smiled at how adorable he was, contemplating whether you should wake him up or not. Another dark cloud rolled in, causing it to become even darker to the point where you couldn't even see down the hallway. It creeped you out, so you poked his cheek a few times until he began to stir.

"What's up?" he mumbled sleepily, his eyes still shut.

"The power went out," you replied quietly. "Will you help me set up some tea lights?" He groaned, turning his head away from you. You poked his cheek a few more times but he ignored the light touch. You pouted at him, crossing your arms over his chest and resting your head over them. You sat there for a few moments in defeat, your brain completely void of ideas on how to wake him up. You thought for a moment and smirked, uncrossing your arms and placing your hands gently on his arms.

You could hear him take in a quick inhale of breath when you placed your lips against his neck, holding in said breath as you continued to place small kisses all along his neck. You worked your way down to the place where his neck meets his shoulder, placing your lips on the spot and sucking gently on the soft skin. He let out the breath in a sort of whining moan, like he enjoyed what you were doing but he was acting like he didn't. You found it cute, breaking away to giggle slightly at his reaction. You placed small kisses all over his neck once against, smirking as you felt his hands snake to your sides, his fingers touching the skin right under the hem of your shirt.

"Will you help me set up tealights now?" you whispered in his ear. You bit your lip as he took a slightly staggered breath, smiling at the action.

"God, I hate you sometimes," he mumbled, sitting up and sliding you into his lap. You giggled slightly at his reaction, getting off of the sofa and grabbing his hand. You pulled until he stood up, not releasing his hand as you journeyed into the kitchen to light a few candles. He helped you place them all around the house, making sure that none of them would light anything on fire.

After lighting up the house, the two of you returned to your places on the sofa. And, once again, Jack fell asleep. You chose not to bother him, grabbing a throw and draping it over as much of his body as possible. You tiptoed quietly through the dining room and kitchen, opening the back door extremely slowly as to not make a sound, and shut yourself back outside, sitting back down in your chair to enjoy the chaotic tranquility of the storm.

******
I wrote the first half of this way back at the beginning of January. Because of the strange weather of this obnoxious state of Pennsylvania, it was extremely warm and raining. I had completely forgotten this existed until it was warm and rainy the other day, so I finished it up.

I don't know about you, but I personally love storms. Rain storms are so loud and chaotic and beautiful and snow storms are quiet and their impacts can be more immediately than with rain. Both are amazing.

I should have another chapter out either Monday or Tuesday. I'm trying to go for an every other day sort of thing, but I'm extremely bad with schedules.

Happy reading,

Allie B.

S̶̺̯̭͆̑́̎́͛́̃́̕õ̶̧̗͓͕̼̭̪̱̃͑̇̋͂͌̀̓͑̂o̷̬̪̫̭̻̣̮̭̩̹̜̐̑̃͋͠n̶̡͉̹̬͕̙̓