Subnautica (Part Two)

Mark smiled as you attempted to operate your seaglide, barely capable of using it. You followed cautiously behind him, terrified by nearly every creature you passed. You couldn't help but notice the glowing green spots on some of the creatures as you traveled, but you didn't bring it up to Mark. It was a matter to be considered at a different time. For now, they needed to focus on saving the survivor in life pod 17.

They surfaced for air one last time before going down and unburying the life pod. The man inside pushed the hatch open and swam to the surface, gasping for air. He turned and faced towards the island, swimming towards it frantically.

"Hold up!" Mark yelled out, using his seaglide to cut off the green haired man. Mark's own red hair was plastered to his face, his serious expression making him look slightly ridiculous. "We don't know what's on that island."

"I've been studying the planets in this sector for years. The only indigenous lifeforms on this planet that live on land are practically harmless. Besides, there seems to be some sort of...building on the far side of the island. I could see it through the hatch as I was landing." He began to swim towards the island again. Neither of you stopped him. "We can make shelter on this side of the island and then try to figure out what caused the ship to crash. Do we have any materials to make a base?" You and Mark began to follow him.

"All of our materials are back at our life pods," Mark stated, looking at the man skeptically. He had a thick Irish accent, his green hair making him seem a little less serious that he was trying to appear.

"I've got three nutrient blocks and a bottle of water," you stated, swerving with your seaglide. "But I've got a shit ton of titanium and quartz on me."

"I have a flare gun, three bottles of water, four nutrient blocks, and a radiation suit," Mark declared, looking below the water's surface wearily.

"All I have are medkits and a habitat builder," Jack stated, holding onto both yours and Mark's seaglides. The three of you crawled onto the shore of the strange island, odd looking foliage covering the land in front of you.

"I say you and I go push the lifepods closer to the island," Mark stated, looking at the green haired man next to him. He turned to you. "Why don't you get started on building us a place to live? It looks like the sun is going to set soon."

"Based on the sun's relative position to the horizon," Jack started, squinting up at the sky, "we have about two and a half hours of daylight remaining. Here." He handed you his habitat builder.

"Okay," Mark stated, looking over to you with a charming smile. "Why don't you get started? We'll be back before sun down. Promise."

"Okay." And they were off.

The first thing you did once the boys were out of sight, was to find a location for your base. It was only about fifty yards inland, a little too close to the water for comfort but also a little too far inland for your taste. You didn't feel comfortable going much closer in either direction, so you settled for that spot.

You built what the builder called a multipurpose room. It was small, maybe a bit too small for the three of you, but for the time it'd have to work. The next thing you built was a hatch. It was facing out towards the Aurora, the same direction the boys ventured. You searched through the habitat builders blueprints and found one for solar panels, so you said fuck it and built one. The sun was on the horizon, the sky turning brilliant shades of orange and yellow and red, and still the boys weren't back. You couldn't see them in the distance either.

You sat outside of the small pod for another half an hour, the sun almost gone. It was becoming extremely dark extremely quickly, and you still couldn't see the boys. If they weren't back soon, you weren't sure if they were going to make it back at all. You three have been on the planet for barely a day; there's no way of telling what sort of creatures lives on the planet. They might already be dead.

That thought made you feel sick. You couldn't take sitting and waiting any longer. You entered the brightly lit white pod, closing the hatch and retreating as far from it as possible. You curled up in a ball and did the one thing you were trying not to do: think. You thought about all of the people that died in the crash. You thought about how Mark and Jack might have been murdered by whatever creatures live in these waters. You thought about all of the terrors that this planet held and how each and every one of them would probably murder you on sight. You thought about how you might never leave this planet. And you cried. You started crying and didn't even notice, and when you did notice you just cried harder. You cried until the sun was down outside of the pod and you couldn't hear anything except for your own tears hitting the metal floor of the pod.

"Hey, we're- what's wrong?" You hadn't even heard the hatch open. Mark was by your side in an instant, Jack hanging back a bit. "Okay, that was a bit of a stupid question."

"Yeah, a little," you replied, wiping your eyes and cracking a small smile. "I'll be fine. I just needed a good cry. We're not in the best of situations right now. And you guys had me worried."

"Sorry," Jack responded, a small smile gracing his lips. "We stopped for a little bit to collect materials in the safer shallows. There's a huge snake-like creature down in the water right outside and we figured it probably wasn't safe to be out there near it, so we collected further out." You made a face. Why did he have to tell you there was a creature right outside? You didn't want to leave the small metal pod ever again. Jack smiled in apology.

"That's...smart. I was still worried sick." Jack's smile widened.

"Sorry. We'll give you a heads up next time. Will you help me set up some floodlights around the island? I found the blueprints for them on the way back."

"Sure. Mark?" He shook his head, standing up and offering you a hand. You took it, allowing him to pull you up.

"I should start setting some stuff up around here. Go on without me." He gave you a wide, comforting smile. It relaxed you, and you smiled back. You handed him the builder and followed Jack out the door and into the cool night air.

"Let's get started."

******
Shitty ending, shitty chapter.

Oh well. Better stuff on the way.

Happy reading,

Allie B.