Priority - Part Three

(Word Count: 4547)

"Okay everyone, here's the game plan," Jack stated loudly, holding a long pointer stick in his hand. There was a large map of the layout of the 100th floor dungeon, the place where they'd beat the final boss in the game. Many people sat around the table, each one of them silently staring at Jack. Mark sat to the right of his chair at the head of the table, his two friends sitting next to him. He smiled at the green haired man encouragingly. Jack took a deep breath before continuing.

"This dungeon is full of traps. We don't know their exact locations, but we do know that they are explosive, so be careful. There is an ring around the dungeon that we believe is bottomless, and according to our beta tester's guide, the boss will pick up people and throw them towards the outer edges of the dungeon. Our sorcerers will stand on the sidelines and conjure up a forcefield over the pit to catch anybody that flies. We'll have our archers cover them, shooting the beast only when necessary. Your main job is to protect the sorcerers. The healers should stay as far out of the way as necessary, but you all must carry a weapon to protect yourself in case of minions or some other type of mob. We need our warriors on the frontlines, attacking as much as possible at whatever it is we're facing."

"What are we facing?" a man asked. Jack shook his head, a discouraged frown on his face. He pushed up his glasses, an item that he rarely ever wore in game.

"That's our only disadvantage. The beta tester's guide only states that the boss uses some sort of possession technique at some point in the fight. If that's the case, we'll need our strongest exorcist. I know that there's only a few in the entire game, but we've already got one coming in from floor 14. He should be here by tomorrow. But listen everyone." Jack placed his hands on the table, leaning heavily on them. He met eyes with every single person around the table as he spoke. "We all need to get a good night's rest, take whatever enchantments possible, and eat a good meal in the morning. We all have to be at our strongest tomorrow, because if this boss attempts to possess anyone," Jack's eyes stopped on Mark's, lingering a bit longer than they should've, "we all need to ready to fight it." He tore his eyes away from Mark's, staring down at the map. "We all have to be prepared for loss." Jack found himself at a loss for words, unable to continue as he stated at the frayed piece of parchment in front of him. Mark stood up and put a hand on his friend's shoulder, speaking for him. Jack looked over to him gratefully.

"There will be casualties," the usually quiet man stated boldly. The crowd around them seemed slightly taken aback by the statement. "There will be people who die during this battle, there will be people who will lose a friend, and there will be people finding themselves too scared to fight. And that's okay. It's okay to be afraid to die, and it's okay to grieve over a lost friend, and it's okay to want to back down. Nobody will look down upon you if you choose to do so. This is a fight that not a single person expected to be easy. The decision to fight is up to you. But before you walk out of that door, ready to leave and never come back, please think about this. Think about the people you've met in this game. Think about the people you've become close to, and think about the people you've seen die. Think about all of your friends who have lost their lives to this game. Think about all of the things about this game that have impacted your life. Some people have met their closest friends during our time in this game, some people have lost their closest friends. This is a fight that will not only end this and give us back our freedom, but it will avenge every single person who's died. It'll allow them to finally be at rest, knowing that the unholy thing that kept them trapped here has been defeated. This isn't just the end of a game. It's the beginning of a new generation of warriors; courageous, brave, and wonderful people who conquered their biggest fears and won. We, the people around this table, are among the bravest, the strongest, and the most badass group of people I've ever met. We can beat this." The room was silent, every single person in the room amazed that such inspirational words came from Mark's mouth. He had tightened his grip on Jack's shoulder in the middle of his speech, letting up when he finished speaking.