Sonnet 18

"I look awful," you stated, looking upon yourself in the mirror. Mark, whom was adjusting his tie, looked over and nearly keeled over at your beauty. You looked back at him with sad eyes, noticing his astonished face. You were immediately filled with insecure thoughts, and you couldn't stand to look at him nor yourself, so you looked down with tears welling in your eyes. "Do I really look that bad?"

"W-what?" Mark stuttered, confused by your question. "You look absolutely gorgeous!"

"Stop fooling around," you said, looking back at the mirror in disgust. "I'll go change, I wouldn't want to embarrass you at dinner." He jogged over and stopped you as you were walking to your closet, cupping your face with one hand and holding your waist with the other.

"Y/N, you look astonishing. Besides, it's only a teacher's dinner, who cares what anyone thinks! You'll look better than any of them no matter what you wear."

"Mark, I look awful."

"'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?'" he quoted, and you smiled despite yourself. "'Thou art more lovely and more temperate.'"

"Shakespeare? Really?" You couldn't but giggle as he raised an eyebrow and smirked.

"'Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, and summer's lease hath all too short a date.'" He reached down and grabbed your hands, pulling you towards the full body mirror. You looked into it and your nose wrinkled up in distaste at the sight of yourself. You looked up and met eyes with him in the mirror, the warm chocolate of his irises making you smile.

"'Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,'" he spoke softly, turning to kiss the side of your head before continuing, "'and often his gold complexion dimm'd.'" He wrapped his arms around your waist and smiled, resting his chin on your shoulder and humming a short note. You couldn't help but blush and smile at him.

"Mark, love, I understand that you're an English teacher, but do you have to be this cheesy?" His grin widened.

"'And every fair from fair sometime declines, by chance, or nature's changing course, untrimm'd.'" Every word was quiet and gentle, every syllable spoken in the iambic parameter it was meant to be read in. He knew every word by heart, and the fact that he was speaking them to you made you feel like you were melting because you knew he meant exactly what the poem meant. He truly thought you were beautiful. "'But thy eternal summer shall not fade nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st, nor shall death brag thou wander'st in his shade, when in eternal lines to time thou grow'st.'"

"Mark, I love you to death, but why are you doing this?" He broke his Shakespearean ramble and tightened his grip around you. His smile faltered slightly, but he still wore a small smile.

"Because you look beautiful in your dress," he stated, planting a small kiss on your shoulder. "I don't want you to keep letting your insecurities get the best of you. You're always gorgeous in whatever you wear and you have no reason to be wary about yourself. You're magnificent inside and out."

"Mark..."

"'So long as men can breathe and eyes can see,'" he started, turning to meet your eyes, "'so long lives this, and gives life to thee.'"

"You know how I get when you quote old literature."

"And you know how I get when you get insecure about your looks." You blushed and turned away, only for one of his hands to move up and turn your head to face him once again.

"Mark..."

"You can change your dress if you want to. You gotta understand, I'm not stopping you. Just discouraging you, because you look absolutely beautiful." You rolled your eyes. He only smiled, locking lips with you.

"I won't change. Let's just go to dinner before we're late."

"Alright. I love you, Y/N."

"I love you too, Mark."

******
We're doing Shakespeare in English and I'm absolutely in love with Sonnet 18, so I figured I'd write a short little imagine about it.

For those who can't read Shakespearean language, basically he's calling her more beautiful than a summer's day and that while summer ends, she's just as beautiful no matter the time. By the end, he says that her beauty will never age because so long as men can still read the sonnet her beauty shall forever live on in his writing.

Sorry about the late update btw. Yesterday was super hectic.

Happy reading,

Allie B.