Chapter 21

Picture is Rachel _________________

I walked off the bus and surprisingly, no one was pushing or shoving. They just stood one behind the other, waiting to get off. Well, that's not weird at all. I walked across the black top, while holding my right book bag strap. "New kid?" I heard someone ask from behind me. I quickly turned around and saw a girl who was a few inches shorter than me with blond hair. Her skin was pasty and she had a septum ring. "Yea, how'd you know?" I said in a soft voice. She shrugged and swung her bag on her shoulder. "Did you get your schedule yet?" I shook my head in response. "I'll show you where the office is," I gave a smile and nodded.

"Principal Hoover," she called. A short, chubby man came out of the office and smiled. "Deckland Farris, what a pleasure it is to meet you," he said shaking my hand. I smiled nervously and nodded. "No need to be nervous, we know you're new to the vampire community," I nodded again. "Here's your schedule," he said handing me a white piece of paper with black ink on it. "You have three classes with me," she said peering over my shoulder. "I'll show you to your homeroom," Mr. Hoover smiled and nodded. "I see you already have a buddy. You two have a good day," I gave a soft smile at him. "You too, thank you," I walked out the door with the girl.

"My name is Rachel by the way," I nodded. "Obviously you know mine is Deckland," she nodded. "Nice tattoo by the way," I widened my eyes and covered the back of my neck with my hand. "T-Thanks," she nodded and stopped in front of a door. "This is ancient literature, or as human would say, English," I gulped and nodded. "I'll see you next period," she waved me off as I waved back. I walked into the door and instantly saw the cliques segregated. The popular group was in the left back corner. The outcasts were in the right corner. And everyone else was scattered. I bit my lip and sat down in the only open seat there was, and it was two seats from the popular people.

"Alright students," a croaking voice alarmed the class. I set my stuff beside me and leaned my head in my hand. "We have a new student, his name is Deckland Farris," I sighed and covered my face. "Would you please stand up," I stood up slowly and just looked down. "Um, Ms. Johnson, he has a tattoo exposing," I glared at the high pitched voice coming form behind me. "Let me see it Mr. Farris," I sighed and turned around lifting of the ends of my hair. "That's not a tattoo," she gave me a 'I know what it is' look. "Then what is it," a deep voice asked. "It's the mark of a siren," everybody went silent. "That means he's bonded with a siren," a random dude said from across the room.

I got my lunch and saw it was blood and chicken fingers with mash potatoes. "Deckland," I heard a familiar voice call over the other loud voices I heard. I saw Rachel sitting with her friends, motioning me to come over. I walked and stood there awkwardly. "Sit down you goof ball," I nodded and sat down beside her. "You're the talk of the school you know," I raised my eyebrow. "How?" I asked sticking my fork in my mash potatoes and shoving them in my mouth. "Being bonded with a siren is a big deal," I shrugged. "I mean, I don't think so," I said shrugging. She rolled her eyes and grinned. "Everyone knows that sirens are the top of the food chain, and vampires are in the middle right below werewolves," I shook my head. "I don't know anything really, I just turned two months ago," all of her friends, including her dropped their jaws.

"You know nothing of vampire culture?" I shook my head and dipped my chicken finger in the blood sauce. All of her friends smirked and looked at me. "How about we show you then?" I felt really uncomfortable right now. "Um, I don't know," they pleaded and whined. "Fine," I gave in. They cheered, "Right after school meet us on the track field," I nodded and drank some of the blood sauce feeling guilt over run me.