♡ 4

Aaliyah P.O.V 

I sit on the couch while Mya lays on my lap sound asleep, Millions of thoughts were running through my head how was I supposed to go to work, I'm definitely not leaving her at that house ever again I'm never leaving her anywhere. 

"Aaliyah you're still up."I hear Keith's sleepy voice say as he walks from out his room. 

"Yeah I'm just up thinking."I sigh, Keith comes into the living room and sits beside me. 

"Everything is going to be okay Liyah, I can watch Mya when you're at work and stuff,"He tells me causing me to shake my head I don't want anyone watching her but me I just can't risk anything happening to her again. 

"Why are you shaking your head you know I have no problem watching Mya, she's the little homie,"Keith tells me. 

"I want to watch her myself I don't want anything else to happen to her okay."I try telling him in the most understanding voice. 

"Wait, what do you mean by that Liyah, you know I would never hurt Mya."He tells me with a straight face. 

"I don't Keith.. I can't leave her." I tell him and he stands up. 

"You left her in the house with a crack head and a fucking pervert but you can't leave her with me?"He implied. 

His words stung, piercing me straight in the heart, I can't believe he would say that to me. 

"Liyah I didn't mean that,"He says quickly after realization hits him. 

"People don't just say things Keith, You said it because that's how you feel,"I tell him simply as I stand gently picking Mya up. 

"Wait where are you going Liyah, you know I didn't mean it like that."He tries to explain, but I didn't want to hear it these past two days have been rough and hearing my best friends say something like that is just not what I need right now, but he's right. I did leave her and it was stupid of me. 

"Liyah it's cold out there you're not going out there it Mya, She doesn't even have a jacket. "Keith protest but I just ignore him as I walk out the door with Mya in my arms. 

"Get back in her Aaliyah what's wrong with you!"He yells as he runs out the door after me. 

I honestly didn't know what was wrong with me I felt so torn down and tired I just want to go somewhere with my little sister and get away, sleep for the best of my winter break. 

Keith follows me down the street telling me how ridiculous I was being and I know I was but I didn't care. I get all the way to the nearest gas station and Keith is still behind me, he looked completely annoyed. I was surprised Mya had not woken up. I walk over to a pay phone pulling four quarters out of my purse and calling a cab. 

"Where the fuck are you even going to go?"He asked as he crossed his arms looking down at me. 

"To a motel, Keith okay? I just need some time alone."I sign. 

He doesn't speak he just shakes his head, He rubs the back of his neck and lets out a sigh. 

"Call me when you get there okay...please...You know the house number I'll be up," he tells me with a sympathetic look.  I just nod and he tells me he's going to wait with me until the cab comes. we stand there in silence  waiting. When  it comes, I don't even look at keith, I just climb in the back seat with my little sister tightly in my arms. 

I tell the driver to take me to the nearest motel and he does, the place was pretty decent, no crack heads sitting in the front with needles in there arms. I pay the man and head inside to the front desk. It was nice and warm inside the building. I got no questions about my age when I asked for a room, the lady at the front counter just looked at me with a sad symphtietic look as she took the money and passed me a room key. It was the last bit of money I had left. the other money I had was supposed to be used to pay the gas bill but my mom didn't do that, but for some reason I had faith in her and I belived that she would do the right thing. I even gave her twenty dollars for her to spend on herself but she took that and the 106 dollars I gave her and spent it on God knows what. 

Feeling exhausted, I lay Mya down and I lay across the bed. Loneliness is already creeping it's way into me and It doesn't help that I left keith's house. No matter how mad he makes me sometimes , I just can't hold my anger agaisnt him. He has been my bestfriend since I was 5 years old. The only person who was nice to me. He didn't tease me about being dark skinned like the other kids did. They would call me black and burnt,picking on my natural hair, calling it nappy and ugly, I remember running home everyday begging my mama to give me a perm, she was to busy, snorting coke to care about my feelings, but I'm kinda greatful that she didn't perm my hair because I love it now. I remeber the kids picking on my big lips and even my height. I was always the shortest out of everyone I still am, but keith. He never picked on me. He was always so sweet and generous telling me that I shouldn't listen to those kids because they're just stupid. Keith has a good mama she always taught him to be kind, and he always listened. Keith's mother was always sweet to me as well she treated me like a daughter, she didn't find out about where I lived until one day when she offered to take me home when I missed the bus. She was so shocked, but she didn't make me feel bad about it. She never talked down to me about either, I never understood why keith was such a good friend to me. I was the only kid he hung out with who lived in the projects and didn't have fancy clothes and shoses. All his other friends has the newest sneakers and name brand clothes. I remember keith's mom bringing me clothes during the winter nice long  sleeves and jackets because my mama didn't do it. My mama didn't even bother asking me where I got the new clothes she didn't care. Some nights Keiths mom would even bring me home to stay with them when it was really cold because she knew we didn't have any heat. Keith's dad was different though.He didn't like me. He didn't like where I was from he would always joke about me being a hoodrat, and a project baby. His dad is a lawyer, that's why they're livng so nice, His dad was a super attractive and intellegent guy but he was an asshole. Keith was the total opposit he has always been an amzing friend. 

I start to reminisce on how things were when keith and I were younger the thoughts dance around in my mind like they were recent events. I remeber his young freckled face and sunkissed mahogany skin. The way he laughed at my stupid jokes just to be nice although we both knew that they were corny and unfunny. The way we stayed up all night watching vcr horror movies, we'd both be to afaid to to fall alseep so we'd stay up all night until day time came and crash at like 10 in the morning.  

The memories make me smile, making me feel some what better. I take a breath and quickly pick up the phone that is on the night stand pushing the buttons as fast as I can dailing Keith's house number. 

After two rings he answers the phone with a frantic "Hello, Aaliyah?"

"Yeah.. it's me"I sigh into the phone and he lets out a sign of relife. 

please comment and vote. tell me what you think :)