Chapter 4

I nodded again and wondered about where to start. I figured I should start by addressing his question then answer whatever else he wanted to know about. After that he might answer some of the questions that I had about my abilities to make things happen when I wanted them to.

To fill open space I said, "Okay sir."

He looked uncomfortable and said, "You don't need to call me sir. My name is Severus and it is only fair that since I am calling you by your name you should call me by mine."

"Okay I will in the future sir- I mean Severus."

"Okay well you wanted to know why I didn't want to talk so I guess I'll start there. Is that okay si- I mean Severus?"

"Yes that sounds good. I can't say that I am uninterested as to why you wouldn't although I do have a hunch."

I wasn't sure how to word it so I just started talking, "Well I didn't talk because my mother had taught me not to. I mean she told me not to talk unless it was necessary. I guess she just didn't like my voice."

I shrugged my shoulders to show I didn't care. Well I actually cared a bit deal that she hadn't liked my voice. That was all in the past now there was nothing I could do to change the fact that she didn't like my voice so it didn't matter to me anymore.

Severus didn't take it well. His eyes soon filled with anger. At first I thought it was towards me but I realized it was towards my "Mother".

"You don't have to not talk here. I think you have a lovely voice," he said.

I stared intently at the floor again. When I looked back up there were tears at forming at the edge of my eyes threatening to come out.

My voice cracked several times as I said quietly, "Thank you. That's the nicest thing anyone had ever said to me."

"Well that won't be the case anymore Jessica. You deserve better than whatever she gave you. I wasn't lying though, you do have a very pretty voice," when he was done talking tears were silently streaming down my face.

I said quickly, "Thank you so much sir."

I hadn't realized what I had said until he said, "Remember you can call me Severus."

I grimaced because I had forgotten to call him Severus. I flinched back ready for the punch for disobeying a direct order.

He must have seen me flinch because he took my hand and pulled me up into his lap, "I promise I am not going to hurt you for such silly things. Even if it's a bigger thing I don't believe in physical methods. Okay? You're safe here."

I smiled and gazed up at him saying, "Sorry I know you won't. I'm just used to being punished by my "Mother" for doing things wrong. It will be a hard habit to break."

He drew back slightly and said, "Yeah I'm probably mostly to blame for that although I didn't mean to be."

I looked up at him willing him to finish his thought. He cleared his throat like he had already said too much. Even though I wanted to dearly I didn't peruse the topic.

Trying to get back on topic, "You know that you are safe here and I won't ever hurt you right?"

I said, "Yes thank you very much."

He looked like he was trying to hold back a laugh and said, "You know you don't have to talk so formally to me?"

I went red in the face and was still blushing deeply when I said, "Okay I will try not to. It's just that my "Mother" always told me to speak formally when I had to speak."

He looked revolted and I was trying not to laugh at his expression when he said, "Anything that bitch told you to do you don't have to do here. Well within reason anyway."

I wasn't surprised by his language although he looked slightly embarrassed. My "Mother" cursed all the time at home so I was used to it. I knew that by saying within reason he meant I didn't have to do any of the weird things my "Mother" always had me do.

Trying to change the subject he said, "Why don't you get some sleep? Tomorrow we can go to the Diner down the road and get to know each other a bit better. Sound good?"

"Yes," I said yawning.

I was so surprised and happy that he was going to let me stay. Then I remembered that he didn't know what a monster I was. Once he found out he was sure to kick me out. I was so overcome with emotion that I started to cry.

He looked concerned and said, "What's wrong Jessica? Did I say something?"

Being careful to tell the truth just not all of it I said, "No I'm just happy that you are letting me stay here. I thought you were going to kick me out."

He looked happy and said, "Well I'm glad I didn't upset you, but I want you to know that I am not going to kick out such a wonderful young lady."

I was so happy even though I knew it wouldn't last that I wrapped my arms around his neck. At first he hesitated but soon he hugged me back. We stayed in that embrace for a minute or so until I finally pulled away because I had to cough.

He got up and I followed him over to the stairs. On his way up he grabbed my bag and carried it upstairs for me.

When we got upstairs he took me into the second room on the left. It looked like a bedroom but it was untouched. The sheets were black and green and the dresser and nightstand were both black. Even though it seemed a bit plain I loved it.

I kicked off my shoes and hopped into the bed. Severus came over and pulled the blanket up to under my chin.

I must have worn the same look of confusion I felt because I asked, "What are you doing?"

He looked momentarily embarrassed then said, "I'm tucking you in. I know it's been a while since I've seen this done but I still know how to. Why?"

"I don't normally sleep in a bed, my mother slept in it."

He looked angry and frustrated for a moment and said, "Well you won't have to sleep wherever you slept at your house here. I have plenty of beds and you should sleep in one."

I smiled gratefully at him and said, "Thank you Severus."

"It is my pleasure," he replied.

As he left he turned out the light and I was left to sleep soundly.

I held the blankets close to me and feel asleep quickly happy to finally get some well deserved sleep that I had been deprived up for the last eleven years.

My dreams were filled with nothing other than those many things I really didn't want to see at the moment I had felt the safest for as long as I can remember
-
VOTE COMMENT (I love to hear what you have to say) AND FAN!