Chapter 42

We stopped in front of the Potions room while I handed my three friends their books. We walked in and sat down. We took up the entire half of the third row. Harry was sitting at the far end next to Ron. Neville and Seamus sat next to Ron, then Hermione. Dean sat after Hermione and I took a seat next to Dean. Blake slid into the chair next to me.

Dean softly called over to Harry jokingly, "You're going to fail. You're not sitting anywhere near the smart kids. I have three geniuses near me."

Harry scowled at him, "Yeah I should have thought about this seating arrangement a little more."

Ron punched him on the arm softly, "Hey what's wrong with me, I'm great at Potions."

"The only reason you're even passing potions is because of Jessica and Hermione," Harry said.

"That's the only reason you're passing too," Ron said with a grin.

All their smiles were wiped off when the door opened and my father walked in. I was really proud of him because instead of sweeping in like a vampire like he always does, he walked in calmly without a scowl etched on his face.

He stood up at the front of the classroom and said, "Today I want you to all make an aging potion. You can find this potion on page 172 of your books. You'll need some Boomerang slings which are on the left in the pantry and are labeled in Greek."

He wasn't being nice, but it was an improvement from his usual demeanor. Everyone got up nosily to go to the pantry and get their supplies. Once I was sure it wouldn't hurt anyone I brought over supplies for all of us and placed them in front of each person.

I was cutting, mashing and cracking all my ingredients at the same time so it was no surprise when I was ready to start my potion in a minute or two. Ignoring the directions in the book completely I carefully executed the correct steps to make my potion shimmer gray.

I finished up and put some in a glass vial before bringing it up to Severus's desk.

He nodded and muttered, "Nice job," quietly.

I smiled faintly and said, "Thank you."

I went back to my desk quickly and helped Dean while Hermione tried to do her potion while helping the entire end of the table. I told him exactly how to perform the next two steps then moved over to where Ron and Harry were sitting. I saw Blake finish his potion and bring it up to my father.

I got Ron and Harry started on the second step then turned to make sure Dean was doing okay. To my surprise and delight Blake had moved over one seat and was helping Dean make his potion. Dean seemed content sitting next to Blake and it looked like they were even making friendly conversation.

"What are you smiling at?" I heard someone ask.

I turned to see Harry staring at me waiting for my answer, "Nothing," I muttered.

He shrugged and rolled his eyes while he said teasingly, "Fine don't tell me."

I laughed softly because Severus had begun helping the Slytherins on the other side of the room.

"Whatever, just do step three. You just need to stir 7 times clockwise," I said.

They both were doing well so I looked up again to see my father helping some of the Slytherins in the back of the room. With a grin I noticed he had skipped Draco's row completely. I knew Wilkes had gone to Mungo's and gotten some of his memory back. He was back in school as of yesterday. I wondered if Severus was as cold to him as he was to Draco, I hoped so.

I went back to helping Harry and Ron finish up as Dean brought his potion up to the front of the room. Seamus and Neville were almost done, under the guidance of Hermione. Neville's looked a little too white and Seamus's a little too dark but they would pass easily. Ron and Harry finished at the same time.