Chapter 7

"Does this mean my mother was a witch too?"

"Well no, only I am a wizard. That's why she didn't like me, I told her that I was a wizard and she refused to believe me. I showed her some magic and she broke up with me. "

"That makes a lot of sense. It explains what she meant when she said I was like my father," I said.

He smiled halfheartedly and said, "Well normally when a witch or wizard turns 11 years old they get a letter in the mail that tells them what they need for school. You will be going to Hogwarts probably seeing as though that is the closest one and I'm sure Albus will have you signed up for there."

"Did you go to Hogwarts when you were my age Severus," I questioned eager to learn more.

"Yes I did, as a matter of fact I am still there. I teach Potions."

"Oh cool. Does that mean you will be my teacher?"

"Yes I suppose it does," he said.

My face lit up, "Cool! I bet you're brilliant."

He smiled softly and said, "Just as good as your other teachers."

"What other classes do I take? And can you tell me more about Hogwarts? Where is it? What does it look like? Did you like it?" I threw a bunch of questions at him one right after the other.

"Woah slow down there," he said putting his hands up.

"Sorry," I said looking at the ground.

"No no it's fine. Let me explain about Hogwarts. The students are split up into four different houses. There is Hufflepuff, which is an average house. Ravenclaw is the house where you go if you are really smart. Gryffindor is the house where you go if you are brave, and Slytherin is where you go if you are cunning and self-oriented."

I already knew what house I wanted to be in if I wanted to please him. It was obvious that he thought Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw were mediocre houses, Gryffindor was a terrible house and Slytherin is a far better house then the rest.

"I take it you were in Slytherin?" I questioned jokingly.

"Yes I was in Slytherin. You probably will be too since normally families are in the same house."

"What if I'm not?"

"Well then that's fine as well."

"Even if it's Gryffindor?" I asked voicing something that was bothering me but discreetly.

"If you are sorted into Gryffindor I will still be proud of you," he said.

I hadn't realized I had been holding my breath until I let it out just then. I breathed a sigh of relief. The last thing I wanted was to make him not proud of me so soon by getting sorted into Gryffindor.

"Okay good. So what else do I need to know?"

"Well I will take to Diagon Alley to get your school supplies when your letter comes. Soon after that you will off to Hogwarts. I'll teach you a little before you go just so you know the basics."

"Will I be behind everyone else since I didn't grow up around magic?"

"No there will be plenty of kids that have Muggle parents and didn't know about magic until they got their letter. You will definitely not be behind even those who grew up around magic."

"What's a Muggle?"

"It's someone who doesn't have magical abilities," he answered.

"Oh okay cool. Is there anything else you can tell me right now? Like what other classes will I take?"