Chapter 19

I laughed along with my friends. Looking down the hall I saw Filch and he had heard us. I put the invisibility charm on us again and we ran down the corridor. I was thinking of a way to get back to the common room since we couldn't get past Filch. I looked around and immediately pulled them over.

"This is the third floor corridor. We aren't supposed to be here. I doubt Filch will look here. Just in case let's go in here."

I tried the door and when it was locked I pointed at it thinking Alohomora. It opened and we rushed inside. I was peaking out the door when I felt someone touch my shoulder. I looked behind me and saw a huge three-headed dog a few feet away. He was snarling at us and drooling. Picking a possible detention over fighting a three-headed dog I opened the door and let the others go ahead of me. We raced down the hallway up some stairs and through the portrait.

Once inside the common room Harry said, "Well that was close."

Ron said, "I wonder what they are doing with that dog in this school? It's going to kill someone."

Hermione sighed and said, "Didn't you look at its feet?"

Ron snapped, "I was too busy looking at its three heads to notice its feet."

I said, "It was standing on a trap door which means," I trailed off.

When neither of the boys picked up Hermione said, "It means that it is guarding something. Something that we have to find out what it is."

"I don't think we need to. I'm fine with never seeing that dog again," Ron said.

"No I think we do too. I feel like it's important for some reason," Harry said,

"Well we can talk about it tomorrow then. I am tired so I'm going to bed," I said.

I walked upstairs with Hermione at my heels. Both of us used a spell to change ourselves into our night clothes, said goodnight and fell asleep.

As I fell asleep I thought about something that Severus had said to Hagrid when we met him in Digaon Alley. He asked about the you-know-what in a vault and said it was Hogwarts business. I knew that Hogwarts was probably the safest place on Earth. I realized that the thing they had been talking about could be what the dog was guarding. I put it to the back of my mind to ask Harry about it.

The next morning I got up early and was ready within a half an hour. Hermione and I went downstairs to do the homework we hadn't done yesterday. There was only a little Potions homework and Defense Against the Dark Arts homework.

We were both done in a few minutes then I sighed and copied my answers onto another piece of parchment in messier handwriting for Harry and grudgingly Hermione did the same for Ron.

When they finally came down 15 minutes before we were going to breakfast we handed them the parchments with Hermione telling them that today was an exception since it was because of me they weren't able to do it. They looked grateful none the less and together we walked down to breakfast.

After breakfast I reminded them that Hagrid had invited us for tea after dinner tonight. I told them that we should eat an early dinner again because I had to take my Potions lesson that night and we wouldn't be able to visit Hagrid for long if we ate late. They agreed and I told them that Monday thru Thursday I would have classes with teachers at night.

"So I was thinking about last night," I said quietly.

"Yeah so was I. I just wonder what it's guarding," Hermione said.

"That's what I was wondering too. I was thinking back to when I saw Harry and Hagrid in Diagon Alley. Snape told us that he had to talk to Hagrid about Hogwarts business for the you-know-what in a vault. Harry did Hagrid take anything from a vault and not tell you what it was?"