Chapter 30

We walked briskly down the potions classroom without uttering a word to each other. Once we were inside I looked the door and put up the familiar spell to render the people outside unable to hear our conversation.

I went back to the pantry and pulled out all the necessary ingredients along with 4 cauldrons. Two for each of us. At the end these four cauldrons would make enough to make 4 blood replenishing potions. This should be a sufficient amount to heal Blake.

I put two of them in front of Severus and we got to work. The potion would only take 15 minutes or so; relatively short in relation to the time it took to make other potions.

Once the potions were underway I asked, "So why were you late?"

He turned to me and said, "You cannot under any circumstance tell anyone what I'm going to tell you. I don't even want you to tell any of your professors."

Confused I said, "I won't."

He nodded and sighed, "Well Dumbledore has had me keeping a close eye on Quirell, because we need to make sure his reasons for taking the job were honest. I have suspected him of wanting to steal the Sorcerer's Stone for some time now. When he pretended to faint I knew he would try to use the troll to cause a diversion so he could steal the stone. I went right to the third floor corridor and was able to prevent it; although the dog was able to bite me. Then I wanted to make sure the troll was taken care of me without letting him out of my sight so I went down the dungeons and made him go."

"The dog bit you? Let me see."

"It's nothing," he said.

"From what I saw it sure looked bad. I'm pretty sure Harry saw it too. I'm sure he's going to think you are trying to steal the stone."

He sighed and said, "Let him. I don't care how he thinks of me."

"I do," I said huffily, "But I won't tell him anything. Let me see your leg."

Sighing he stirred his potion thrice and lifted his robes up to reveal a huge gash in his leg. It was bleeding down his leg while at some parts scabs were already forming over it.

"Ew that looks terrible. Let me fix it."

"There is no need. I think it would be better if Harry thinks I am the one trying to steal the stone instead of trying to find out who is and coming to the conclusion of Lord Voldemort. If I walk with a limp I'm sure he'll figure out it was a dog."

"Fine, I mean Fluffy is pretty scary looking," I said then winced at my stupidity.

"How would you know that it is scary? How do you know the name Hagrid gave the beast?"

"I just assumed," I lied, "But Hagrid told us it was named Fluffy."

He smirked and asked, "Yes but how would you know to ask Hagrid about a three headed dog? I don't believe Dumbledore mentioned what was guarding the stone; he only said that it was here at Hogwarts."

I sighed defeated and said, "We might have seen it once."

He ran his hand through his hair and I looked down at my potion unable to look him in the eye, "When did you see the dog? And why were you there in the first place? Please don't tell me you went to see for yourself on purpose."

"Oh no of course not. It was when Draco challenged me to the duel a while ago. We heard Filch and hid in a room. We saw Fluffy standing on a trapdoor and fled to the common room again. Hermione and I came to the conclusion it was guarding something. When Dumbledore said the Sorcerer's Stone was here at Hogwarts I knew that Fluffy was guarding it but I couldn't tell them. Instead I just led them in the right direction until we went to talk to Hagrid. He let it slip that it was named Fluffy and what was hidden was between Dumbledore and Nicolas Flamel. I gave Ron the chocolate frog with Dumbledore and they finally found out that Fluffy is guarding the Sorcerer's Stone."