Chapter 15

He paused not expecting that answer and said, "Sure but I've tried it before."

"Well let me see you do it and then I can help tweak it."

He took out his wand and saying the correct words and performing the hand movements mostly correct nothing happened. Smirking he put his wand down as in I told you so.

"Okay good but on the upper lift of your hand you have to jerk it to the side. Yours was flowing instead of rough."

He tried the hand motions again then added the words. Still nothing happened. I thought to when I did the spell myself.

My eyes lighting up I said, "Okay good you have all the technical parts down but the reason I think people have a hard time with this is the mindset. I know you are good at Occlumency so this shouldn't be too hard," I paused trying to word it correctly, "When you do the spell you need to think about the oblivion and pulling an object out of it. Just picture pulling the locker literally out of oblivion while you say the spell and hand motions and it should work."

He looked at me strangely but did as I said mindlessly saying the spell and the hand motions. I could tell he was thinking about something but I didn't know he was thinking about the right thing until a red locker similar to mine appeared next to him.

He looked at it and I saw the edges of his mouth curl up into a small smile. He reached out to touch it and his hand went through.

I said, "See just changing that one thing made it appear. Now to make it physically there I think about my hand touching it before it actually does. I know it sounds strange but just picture yourself being able to touch it and you should be able to do it."

He nodded and closed his eyes concentrating and picturing himself being able to touch it. As he reached out a moment before his hand was going to touch it he opened his eyes. This time his hand stopped and concentrating hard he opened the locker.

He looked at me and said, "I did it," like he couldn't believe it.

I smiled at him and said, "Of course you did. Like I said it's all about your mindset."

"Thank you so much, but how do I make it disappear," his voice was filled with a childish wonder that sounded weird coming from him.

"Okay so just put something that doesn't matter in there. Like a blank piece of paper."

He grabbed a piece of parchment off his desk and put it in the locker like I had requested.

"So now to make it go away while saying lockius oblivious all you have to do is imagine not being able to touch it and then imagine it going back into oblivion. The same way you pulled it out of oblivion you have to put it back that way too."

He nodded and concentrating hard he said, "Lockius oblivious."

He raised his eyebrows as the locker disappeared. Looking from where it was and back to me then back again he was letting shock register on his face.

"It worked."

"That's because you did the spell right," I said.

"I couldn't have done that without you coaching me though. Thank you. I've wanted to master that spell since I was a fifth year at Hogwarts."

I smiled up at him and said, "It's no problem at all so if you open it again later you will find that piece of parchment."

He nodded and said, "Well I know your friends are probably getting worried that I poisoned you or something so you can go back to them. I'll see you later tonight."