Chapter 16

"Great," he said smirking, "Just because you can get off the ground doesn't mean you can fly well."

Ron said, "Shut up Malfoy. I'll say when to start and Harry will hover where the end will be. Okay get into place."

We lined up next to each other staring each other down. When Ron said to get ready I took my eyes of him and looked in front of me figuring out the best way to get around the school.

Ron said, "And go!"

Draco and I were off. Now a few of the students had hovered successfully and Madame Hooch let them go over with us. I was about 5 feet in front of him and making the cut to go around the astronomy tower. I was still in front of him in the last stretch. Ron and Harry were smiling until their faces became panicked.

Too late I saw Malfoy cut me off and shove me off my broomstick. I performed a charm to let me stop falling and landed with my feet on the ground.

Madame Hooch came over and said to Draco, "Mr. Malfoy what was the meaning of that?"

He shrugged and said, "I'm sorry I must have lost control of the broomstick."

She looked at him and he put on his best innocent face. She walked away to help another student and I was joined by Harry and Ron.

"Malfoy what the hell! You could have killed Jessica," Ron yelled.

"I knew she wouldn't die. She would just magic herself out of that, unfortunately. Besides I won."

"What? You shoved me off my broomstick that doesn't count."

He smirked and said, "Why don't we settle this with a wizard's duel tonight?"

Harry said, "Boy you're stupid. Jessica will kick your butt."

I said, "I'm in. Who's your second?"

He looked over to his friends sizing them up and said, "Crabbe."

I said, "Okay fine I'll be there and I'll have my second decided by then."

"Good. 11 o'clock in the trophy room. I'll see you there."

He walked away to his friends and I turned to Harry and Ron, "So who wants to be my second?"

Ron shrugged, "It doesn't matter. No one is going to die so I'll do it."

Harry gulped and said, "What is a second?"

I turned to him and said, "It's who takes over if someone dies in the duel. No one will die because he won't be able to do a real spell and I'll just disarm him then leave."

"Okay. How are we supposed to get there?"

"We'll just sneak out. I know a spell to make multiple people invisible. Harry since Ron's my second you don't have to come if you don't want to."

He shook his head, "No I'm coming and I'm sure Hermione will want to come too."

"I'll ask after flying. She doesn't seem to be doing too well."

"That's an understatement," Ron muttered.

I looked and saw that he was right. Hermione was barely two inches off the ground on her broomstick and she looked like she was going to faint. Just then Madame Hooch told us that class was over and that we should make a neat pile of our broomsticks.

Since this class was over I knew that it was 5 p.m. I wanted to eat an early dinner so I would have time to rest before my meeting with all of my professors.

We walked back up to the castle. Ron Harry and I lead the way talking about Quidditch teams and explaining some of the rules to Harry. Behind us Neville and Hermione looked shaken up by flying.