Chapter 25

Knowing it was better to just follow him instead of getting in trouble I followed him out of the Headmaster's office down into the Dungeons. We went straight to his private quarters and he opened the door to let me in before following in behind me. He closed the door and made it impossible to hear the conversation inside with a few simple spells.

Turning on me he yelled, "What were you thinking! Going out into the Forbidden Forest by yourself? You could have been hurt or killed!"

I was a little surprised by his outburst since he almost never raised his voice above a whisper, "Well like I said I needed to think and I was running and I couldn't see so I was suddenly in the forest. Besides I probably would have been fine, I can win a duel against most people. Besides the only reason I went there to think was because you were suddenly being rude."

"You still shouldn't have gone into the forest, it's very dangerous."

"Whatever. I can win a duel against most things like I already said," I started before he cut me off.

"Did you ever think that there are some things in that forest that are more powerful than you? If my theory is correct then that thing you encountered is way more powerful then you perhaps even in his weakened state."

For the first time since I met him, Severus looked really worried, "What do you mean? What do you think it is?"

"I am not sure if it is, but what person do you know of that would have such a damaged soul that he would be willing to drink unicorn blood to stay alive?"

I thought about it and my eyes widened, "You don't think that was Lord Voldemort do you? I thought he died."

"Someone as evil as the Dark Lord doesn't just die. But yes that is the only thing that comes to mind that would be willing to drink unicorn blood. The only question is if it's him how long has he been drinking it? The longer he has been drinking it the-"

I cut him off, "The stronger he'll be. Oh no this is terrible. Have you asked Dumbledore if it could be him yet?"

He sighed and said, "No I haven't. I'll go and ask him once I'm sure he is back from Hagrid's hut. I thought I would be able to tell if he ever returned."

I said, "Okay I'm coming with you to ask. By tell he's back you mean that tattoo on your left arm right?"

He raised his eyebrows and asked nervously, "What tattoo on my arm?"

I sighed and said, "Well I've been reading up on some dark magic, for school work of course. I read a lot about Lord Voldemort and that thing on your arm is the Dark Mark," worriedly I asked, "Does that mean you're a death eater? Because that's the mark that means you're a death eater. I didn't think you could be a death eater since you're too nice but that mark certainly looks identical to the one in this book I read."

He looked at me with slightly widened eyes and said, "You're too smart for me to get anything past you aren't you?" he sighed and said, "I hadn't expected you to realize that yes I was a death eater a long time ago."

When my eyes widened I took a step back on instinct, "The book said death eaters were followers of Lord Voldemort. It said that they killed and tortured people that got in their way or purely for the fun of it. After his demise most people got locked up in Azkaban."

I recited this straight from the book and Severus said, "Well I was a death eater but you have to understand I know it was wrong."

I didn't let him continue after that, "Did you kill or torture anyone?" I asked quietly.

He looked like he was arguing internally then nodded, "But you don't know everything."

Turning to the door I spat, "I don't need to. Goodbye professor."