Chapter 3

"How is she?" A voice asks. You know when your underwater, and everything sounds so distant? Yeah, that's how everything sounds right now. My eyes flutter open, and I blink a few times to adjust to the bright light. I look over the room, knowing I'm in my living room. Behind me, I hear Blake & Ryder talking about whether I'm fine or not.

My head throbs, and my body feels sore every where possible. I groan, and hold my head. "Can someone get me a painkiller? Or I might slice my throat," I threaten. They rush over to the couch, and Blake reaches me first.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Blake rushes out. His voice seems like he's yelling, and I wince. I hold my head down.

"First off, can you quiet down? Second, when did my lights get so bright?" I question while opening my eyes hesitantly. My head feels like a DJ is playing all the songs of existence on full blast. A cup of water and 2 Advil's are pushed in front of me.

"Thank you." Ryder nods in response, and I quickly gulp down the pills with the water. I look at my blood soaked tank top, and small bits of what happened flash through my mind.

"Was I shot?" My eyes widen a bit, and Blake lifts my shirt up. He instructs me to lay down while he presses his hands down on my abdomen. I feel a little sore on my right side of my stomach, but no pain other than that. I sit up and lift my shirt down.

"No, you were grazed. Who did this?" Blake asks. His eyes shine with anger, and his fists clench tightly at his sides. He cracks his knuckles, causing me to jump a little. His black shirt fits snugly against his bulging muscles, his jeans hang a little loosely on his hips. His black gun flashed a little every time he moved.

"If I tell you, I don't think you'd believe me," I whisper. Luke & Blake used to love teasing me when we were younger. Luke was a childhood friend, and he claimed he liked me since age 8. We went out 2 years ago, exactly today. We would've made 3 years today. If I hadn't found out that he was cheating on me for 1 year and a half, I probably would still be dating him.

"I'll always believe you." Blake comes out strong, and encouraging.

"L-luke," I whisper quietly. Blake's eyebrows furrow.

"I didn't hear you." He leans closer so he can hear me. I close my eyes, and swallow hard.

"Luke." My voice comes out stronger than I feel. Blake jumps back in surprise. He frowns, and his eyebrows furrow.

"You'd think he do something like this? But you guys dated," Blake points out. I sigh and run my hands through my hair.

"Remember that night I called you, and told you that I caught Luke cheating on me. You drove over to his house, beat him up, and took me home. I remember trying to break you two up, because you were about to kill him," I pause to take a breath. Blake nods his head, signaling he remembers.

"Before we left, we locked eyes. And he said . . ." I trail off, breathing heavily. Luke can be the devil himself when he wants to be.

"What did he say?" Ryder presses on. He gives me a lopsided grin, and I give him a small smile back.

"He said I'll pay." I gulp and twiddle with my fingers. I look up at Blake, who seems to be having some internal turmoil.

A question comes to mind as I remember my injuries. "What happened after I blacked out?" I ask Ryder, my eyes furrowing in confusion.

"That Luke guy tried to attack me from behind, but I knocked him out cold. His little men picked up their boss and ran away with their tails between their legs. They looked scared when they saw I emptied their boss's gun void of bullets. I'll use one when I have to, other than that I'm all fight," Ryder tells me, munching on my box of Cheez-It's.