Chapter 24: Date gone south

Paxton's POV

"Black or Maroon?" 

"Oh damn, not black." Kara snorted looking at the dress I was wearing. I mean what's wrong with it? It's classy and nice for a date.

"Wear the maroon one," Myra suggested and with a dull mood, I eyed the dress. It's not too much and nice for a date too.

Scratch that, the main reason was I'm nervous. When Chris asked me last weekend suddenly if I can go on a date with him and I agreed, I was baffled. I didn't know how to act with him on a date. And more or less, I missed him for the whole week as he was in the hotel.  So Chris thought it was best that he picked me up from Kara's house, where I was staying after the game we played. Good for me that Kara was mentally preparing me for the date. 

And now, I can't stop biting my nails.

"You look presentable," Alex said eyeing me with a smirk. Rolling my eyes at her stupid reply, I looked in the mirror and smiled. After staying at the base, she returned with no hint of showing what happened before she left. She and Max still bantered like they used to. In fact, I wouldn't even remember why she left if sometimes her eyes didn't linger at Max for more than one second. 

Shaking their thoughts out of my head, I turned to look in the mirror. I was in the maroon knee-length dress with my hair falling down to curly waves, which I dyed with a strawberry blond like always and my signature red lipstick, the only makeup I use. With the help of brown boots, I was more than presentable.

Yup, I was ready to roll.

It was still 5 to 10 minutes left as Chris would pick me up at 6 so I decided to ask Alex how all the things went.

"Ok, I know we didn't get to talk about it but what was all that about the day you left? I mean you trashing Chris." Alex smirked as she shrugged innocently.

"I just wanted to make sure if Chris was the right guy for you. Prom is coming soon and I don't want you to be the humiliated one when it's come about confessing any love." At one point she was right but now I wanted to change the subject.

"Did you find any dirt on Penny?″ She gave me a look of defeat and shook her head.

That's another thing to add to worry about this weekend. After our deadly game, I didn't tell anyone what happened and just told the guys to gather information about her. And by the look at things, she didn't tell anyone either.

"That's the problem. She's Penny Ellis. I tried to search for her and it came out that Max was really saying the truth. New in town, lived in North Carolina before, has a brother and parents are artists."

Shit!

"But her last name is a real warning." That made me stop feeling guilty. Actually, I also thought about that.

"You think she's related to Nick somehow?″ Kara stood up for a second as she spoke the words.

"We need to search more. Try on her brother." Myra agreed and put on her glasses.

"I thought Nick's parents were in business not in arts," I remembered Nick saying once when I was still dating er playing him.

"Yeah, it's all too confusing but let me tell you, I've had bad vibes from the girl," Kara commented looking at me with a frown.

I had bad vibes too. What if she really is related to Nick? Then what is she doing with my brother? But before I can ask her more a knock came and I sighed.

Guess we have to talk another time.

Looking at the mirror again, I smirked at the girls. "Wish me luck, guys."