Chapter 26: Finally She's Here

Paxton's POV

For a second my mind refused to believe that I've just heard a gunshot. The look on the person in front of me was one of shocked and cocky.

"Pax!" I heard Alex called my name but I kept watching the suited man who was clenching his shoulder and equally grinning at me.

"They will come for you." He snarled out. "And this time he'll kill you."

"Shut up, you son of a bitch!" Reed took his gun out and threatened to shoot him in the head before he passed out. Reed gestured Reece to take him to maybe the club and he nodded. After a few minutes later they both took his body and disappeared the way they came from.

They will come for you.

"I'm so sorry. Let me cut the rope." Kara looked at my face and arms to look for any injury and then cut the knot.

And this time he'll kill you.

Was it that bad? They obviously knew where I was if they've hired a person to kill me.

Andrea Helix.

That name put a bitter taste in my mouth. Alex looked at me confused as to why I wasn't yelling. Was I in shock? Yes. They ruined my date just to hurt me. How much they knew about me?

"Paxton..."

The only voice that made me look was Chris's. His eyes were wild looking like he could pass out any second. I looked down my hands to see they were trembling. I'm still in shock.

"Are you OK? Did anyone hurt you?″ He asked hugging me tightly. Why? Why now? He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and looked at me persuasively.

"You're scaring us, Pax," Myra mumbled quietly.

"Can I go home?″ I asked no one. They all nodded and helped me to the jeep. I looked in the mirror to see that I had a gash on my head. Apparently, the knife has cut some of my skin. But none of those mattered as I was reminded how Andrea might have returned.

"It's OK." Chris took my palm to kiss it softly. How in hell I've managed to get him? Closing my eyes I bit back my mouth as we have a lot to talk about today, a lot.

♡♡♡

"Did you know him?″ Alex asked putting on a bandage in my head. I wasn't ready to talk to anyone yet. But the hopeful look they were giving I knew I just had to burst their happy bubble.

"I didn't know him but we have a mutual...friend." At my vague answer, she narrowed her eyes.

"Don't play games, Pax. This is not the right time." Didn't I know it? I gave her a daring grin to which she growled.

So I changed the subject. "Where's Max? He didn't come to the rescue.″

At my question, her scrawl deepened. "Don't even ask about that asshole twin of yours. I called him numerous times. Did you know what he said?″

I lifted a brow. "He said he's enjoying quality time with his new girlfriend. I shouldn't try to jeopardize it with the bullshit news."

"That asshole." My fist clenched. I was in a danger and my only family was enjoying quality time with her girlfriend. He didn't even wait to hear the news. What has Penny done to him?

"You think he changed?"

I took a minute to think. Did he change? My twin was supposed to help me in my bad time. I can't remember how many times I've dragged his drunken ass from parties.

"I don't know anymore Alex. I don't know when life just became so hard." She was silent.

"I don't feel like a player anymore. It's like I'm the one being played." Wasn't that somewhat right? Max didn't care, Chris caught in the middle, and my friends were going to be hunted because of me.