Chapter Twenty-Six

Rin's POV

    My paranoia was holding me tight.

    I hid in the basement behind a bunch of boxes. I spent three days with authorities. I'm an android computer program. I didn't get the same punishment a human would. People that work at Sega in the Vocaloid department were there, constantly tinkering with my controls.

   They just went and assumed, "There must be something wrong with her system. She must have a virus tampering with her behavior!" Kaito's the one with a virus!

   If that's what they thought, why hadn't they done the same with Gumi? It's been almost two months now, why haven't I heard anything?

    I would keep asking them over and over:

    "What about Gumi? Did you look at her system? Did you check her for a virus?"

   They were silent every time. And the only answer I ever got was enough to make me cry:

   "We had to further search her. The search process has gone wrong. No more questions."

   I wasn't stupid. I've been alive long enough to know what they were talking about. I've seen the very thing happen to other Characters at Sega. I even know a few Nintendo Characters that had gone through the same thing.

   "Further search" was just the fancy way of saying "Take apart and rebuild"

   That was a deadly thing to do to a character. When that happens they most likely forget all the memories they made or function differently and become a whole new person.

   But if the process went wrong...

   The character died while being searched...

    Gumi was gone for good now...

    I was traumatized the rest of my stay with them. I feared they would do the same with me... I was lucky they didn't. Kiyoteru picked me up when they were done. He didn't say anything to me, but I could tell how disappointed he was... he dropped me off and finally spoke to me:

   "Go inside. I'll be home soon. I have to work on the next software release."

   Then I went inside. I was luckier when I found nobody else at home. From what I know, Miku had been really exhausted with work this past month, and she passed out three days ago. She hasn't been speaking a lot since she awoke. Luka and Meiko were assisting Kiyoteru with whatever they could to keep the games and software Sega was releasing to the public this year going.

   I don't know where Kaito is...

   My first instinct was to hide. So I stayed in the basement half the day. I felt my mind falling apart. I still had my phone, but every time it made noise I jumped. Finally I just threw it at the wall to silence it... I kept scratching my arm as I sat in the dark. By now my arm was red, a few more scratches and I'll be bleeding.

   I just know if I stay like this any longer I'll go mad. The worse thing about this whole thing is the fact I couldn't see Len...

   I hurt my twin brother... he's in a coma state because of me... I wish I could see him and just apologize, even if he can't hear me...

   Suddenly there was the sound of the door opening and closing. Then footsteps getting closer.bI pressed against the wall, my heart beating faster, my eyes going wide.nThe basement door opened. Someone was walking down the stairs... I closed my eyes trying hard to believe this wasn't really happening. I tried so hard to tell myself:

   'It's a dream! It's the guilt! This isn't really happening! This isn't real!!'

   The footsteps were getting closer to me. Then a hand instantly grabbed my hair and pulled me to my feet.

   "AHH!! NO NO LET ME GO PLEASE!!" I screamed.

    Kaito just stared at me with those creepy red eyes...

   "You're so stupid. You knew I was coming for you. The best thing you could've done was run away and just disappear without a trace..." He said.

   "Please, just let me go!! I don't wanna die!! Please don't kill me!!"

   He scoffed and harshly threw me to the ground.

   "I won't." He took out a gun and threw it in my lap, "You will."

   I stared at the weapon and started to hyperventilate. He was asking me to end my own life...

    "No... I can't..."

    He sat on a knee and looked directly in my eyes.

   "Why are you hesitating..."

    He spoke in a deep, calm, soft voice. He took my red wrist and put the gun in my hand.

   "Think about it. You're the one that set Len up with Neru. If you hadn't done that... I wouldn't have killed her..."

   He lifted my hand with the gun so I was pointing it at my head.

   "Then you lead Teto to him... if you just accepted the fact Len wasn't ready for dating again... I wouldn't have killed Teto..."

   I felt my breath slow down. He was right... Len was living a lonely life... he wouldn't even try to date girls... I was the one pushing him...

   He moved my finger so it was on the trigger. He kept his satanic eyes on me the whole time.

   "The very fact you forced Len into dating is what caused me to frame someone else... if you left him alone... Gumi would still be here..."

   Somehow his look became darker.

   "Face it, sweetie... everyone is dying because of you..." I thought I heard Akaito's voice that time.

    I felt sweat fall down my head. He really was right... it was all my fault... everything was because of me...

    "You could make it up to them. Pull the trigger and you can see them and apologize for these sins..." He said.

   My hand was starting to shake in his. Tears were falling down my face to my lap.

   "I-I... I'm s-scared..."

   "Why?" His voice was becoming strict, "Why are you s̸͝c͢ar̨ed̛͜? Three of your close friends d͡i͟ed ̸b̵͟e̴̛ca̡̛u͏s͟e̷̡̢ ̸̵òf̶̀͜ ̕y̴͢o̕u͟. Your simple actions have k͠i̡͞ļ͜l̛ȩ͢d͏̴ these innocent girls. Who will be next? Who are you going to force me to kill next? IA? Lily? Momo? Haku? Meiko? Luka? Miku?!"

   "No...no...no! No! No!! No!! NO!!"

  "Then end it!! Put and end to it now!! I'm not the killer!! The true killer I̗ͮͫ̆͗̏S̠̼̭̫͉̹ ̡̩̫̼̰̦̃̔͌̚Y͓̝̹̩͙̬̊̉̅Ȍ̷͚̹̜͍̓̊Û̢͍̗̟̯ͅ!̝̫ͥ!̸͖͔͉̖̰̤̇ͧͨ̿̅ ͧ̃P̂҉̖̩͎̥̭̦̱Ú̮T̴̙̪͇̈ͤ͛̎͋̿̃ ̯͔̺̳Ã͈̟̞͔̰̥̜ͭ͡N̼̈́ͩ̉̽ͥ ̷͔͙͔͓̰ͯͨE̟̮͐̋ͫ̉̚Ņ̥̘̻͕͔̻͎̾ͭͣ͐̆̇D͚̖̤̹̣͖̠̏̀̄̽̒ ̷̖̞̙͋͂̽T̺̂O͔̱͔̬͎͒͗ ̬̬̣̼̟̥̉̉ͥT̥͈͛ͧ͑̀ͯ̚Ḧ̨͚̲͙̜̓ͤͭ̂ͫĬ̩͇͎͓͇͍S̜͖͖̬̪͍̒̿̈́̑ͧ̚ ͣ̋̐̃̄̌̚͏D̛͓ͦ͂͊́ͬA̪͉̻̠̲̤̍̉̅̌͌̓͒M͍̫̘̟ͥ̇͝ͅN̴̈́͒͒ ̭̳̠ͅT̲̱͎̟̠͗̓̐̋ͯ̇͝H̉̋̊̐̏̉͊I̦͍̫̅̆̊̾ͅN̤̟̜̿͌G̳̜̯̖̲͑ ͎͍̙̭̦̫̱̎̓ͣ̋̾͞N̲̯͓͈͙̦̤̂͌̂͂Ö́ͫ̉͝W̖̗̗͔͎̙͎͑̽͝!!"

   I finally lost it. He stood pushing himself away from me. And I pressed the gun to my head.

   Where was my sanity? Where was my common sense? Where was my mind? All of it was gone...

   I was gone...

   BAM!