Chapter Thirty-Five

Len's POV

   I sat in my dressing room while Meiko went to talk to Kiyoteru. I could hear them arguing in his office. In fact, I'm sure the whole building could hear. Kiyoteru's office was seven doors down from the room I was in...

   I stood up and went outside. I had to get away from all of the yelling. I went to the roof and just leaned on the rail. I could see the busy streets below. I remember when I first came up here. It was when I was still in development. My voice bank had issues and I was unable to sing or even speak.

   I remember... it was the first time Kaito talked to me...

   He came up beside me, touched my shoulder, and looked at my eyes with a warm smile.

   "Hey, don't stress yourself." He said to me, "If you just relax and have confidence you'll achieve great things. I can't wait to hear how amazing your voice will be! Hey, maybe we can even sing something together!"

   I really did gain more confidence after that... I did so well with my first song, everyone was so proud of me... Kaito and I became the best of friends after that... I wanted to spend every minute with him... who knew I'd fall in love with him...

   I held my breath trying hard not to cry. I heard footsteps rushing up to me, then a pair of arms went around me.

   "Hi Len-Kun!"

   Miku had pounced on me for a hug, beaming at me as she nuzzled my cheek. I groaned and pushed her off.

   "Hey Miku... why are you so happy all of a sudden...?" I asked.

   "I just am~! I've been in the lab for like a while~! My legs hurt, they made me lay in my Rejuvenate Chamber for so long~!" She said.

   This was suspicious. A few days ago she was a complete mess, now she's the same bubbly happy girl she was before this all happened...

   "So how's it been with you, precious banana~?"

   "How do you think it's been?! I might lose my true love because of all of this..." I said.

   Miku frowned and hugged me.

   "I'm sorry about Neru and Teto...they're in a better place now. Same for Rin! I miss her very much... but I know she's watching over us~!" She said.

   She said one more thing that stabbed me with shock.

   "I still can't believe Gumi... how could she even do this..."

   I slowly faced her my eyes growing wider.

   "What are you talking about... Gumi didn't do it..."

   "Yeah she did. Don't you remember? She was obsessed with you and Rin caught her, so Gumi killed her..." Miku said.

   "No, no, Gumi died before Rin! Kaito was the one that did it!"

   Miku raised an eyebrow and looked at me like I was crazy.

   "Uhm... who's Kaito...?"

   I felt my heart shatter as soon as I heard those words.

   "You don't—K-Kaito! The first male Vocaloid, he has blue hair, he always wear scarfs, he loves ice cream, he's your older brother!! And there's his twin Akaito! He's just like him, but his hair is red!!" I grabbed her shoulders as I spoke, shaking her a little.

   "Alright, you've definitely lost it. I've never had a brother. And Leon was the first male. I have no idea who Kaito or Akaito is, maybe you just made them up?" She guessed.

   "No I didn't! They're both real!! How can you not remember?! How can you forget your own family?!" I yelled.

   "Len, relax! Do you need your mental state to be checked?"

   I growled and ran back inside. I went down half the flights of stairs and barged straight in Kiyoteru's office, not caring what was behind the door.

   "Master!!" I yelled.

   "Len, go back to your dressing room, we're busy!!" Meiko snapped at me.

   "Meiko, just go get some coffee or something. We're done, end of discussion!!" Kiyoteru said to her.

   Meiko pulled her hair and angrily stormed out; her enraged yells could still be heard as she disappeared down the hall. Kiyoteru took off his broken glasses and looked at me with a calm, but still kinda agitated, look.

   "What is it, Len?"

   "Why doesn't Miku remember Kaito and Akaito... what happened, did something go wrong with her?" I asked.

   Kiyoteru sighed softly, replacing his lens before speaking.

   "Sit down. We need to talk."

   I sat on the couch and he sat beside me, putting his glasses back on.

   "You see, this experience has really damaged Miku's mental state. We've tried everything, but she kept getting worse. I didn't want to further search her. We couldn't risk the possibilities of her death... so we had to erase some of her memories..."

   "What... all did you erase, what does she believe...?" I asked.

   "What she believes is that Gumi was the one responsible for the murders. Gumi killed Rin at the house and someone heard and called the police. So Miku never saw Rin's corpse. Then memories of Kaito and Akaito were erased. It was when she learned that they were responsible for the murders her mental state began to fall apart, so we had no choice but to make her believe she's an only child." He explained.

   "But... what about when she sees them again? I know Kaito is still out there!" I said.

    "Baby steps. We don't know if Kaito will turn up or not, but if—no, when he does we will reconstruct Miku's mind slowly."

   I tried hard to take in all of this. I went quiet with pain in my eyes.

   "Now then..." Kiyoteru crossed his legs, "About Meiko..."

   "She lost her damn mind!" I blurted out, "Tell her she isn't my mom, she can't boss me around!" Kiyoteru put a hand on my shoulder.

   "Len, calm down! I'm on your side with this. Meiko has years of motherly instinct downloaded in her system, she's just doing what she thinks she's supposed to do." He said.

   "She... she said I'm too young... what even gives her the damn right?" I said.

   "Don't even worry about it. You're not human, those rules don't apply to you. I'm actually happy Kaito even did propose to you. You're certainly doing better than I did with my love life." He laughed a bit to himself..

   "I miss him so much...I want him to come home..." I said, staring at my ring.

   Kiyoteru brushed a hand against my cheek and smiled at me.

    "I know he will. I need to finish up some work. After we'll go home, ok?"

   I nodded and he kissed my forehead. He stopped at the door before he walked out.

   "And... you didn't hear this from but..." He looked at me, "Meiko is only this upset because she was in love with Kaito. She had tried to make a move on him when you were here, but he pushed her away. You have a right to know."

    He walked out shutting the door behind him. I sat in shock, slowly becoming raged.

   No wonder Meiko is so upset with me...