Strikes

"Jess get up your gonna be late for school!" My dad, Cameron calls from downstairs. "It's your last day!"

I sit up and rub my eyes before sluggishly dragging myself out of bed and getting ready for school. I start my day as normal; with my morning run.

I change into some shorts and a tank top before slipping on my trainers and grabbing some water. "You know it's not good for you to run before getting some food in you." Alice, my mom, tells me.

"I know, you say it every day." I laugh at her before starting my run out the door. I sprint for three miles before coming across a bench where I see Kieran sitting up from a rather uncomfortable nap.

"Jess give me your water." He orders, holding out his hand.

"Rough night?" I sass, noticing a couple bottles of alcohol surrounding his feet.

"Are you giving me your water or not?" Kieran asks impatiently as he pulls out a cigarette and lights it.

"Ugh." I groan in between coughs as I accidentally breathe in his second hand smoke. "Take it, you'll need it to wash down all that tar."

I continue my run home, hop in the shower and proceed to get ready.

I arrive at school on time and head to my first class. "Guess who I saw this morning." I say to Courtney.

"Santa." She says sarcastically. "I don't friggin know."

"Kieran, he was drinking and smoking. I doubt he'll be in today." I state.

"He has to be in. The school threatened him and his parents saying if he skived one more day this year he'd be kicked out for good." Courtney explains.

"I don't think he cares." I laugh.

"Of corse he doesn't but his parents do."

"Girls, are you done with your discussion?" Miss Franklin asks.

"Yes miss." Courtney answer.

"Sorry miss." I reply.

Almost at the end of the lesson Kieran struts in and takes his seat. "And where have you been?" Miss Franklin asks.

"Not here obviously." Kieran says. "I'm already bored here."

"Let's just continue." She sighs, turning to write stuff on the board.

Kieran pulls out a bottle of vodka from his bag and opens the lid. "Are you asking to get kicked out?" I snap at him.

"Maybe." He smirks. "It's the last day, they're not going to do anything."

"They might and I happen to know your parents so I know they want the best for you and that means keeping you in school." I explain, snatching the bottle from his hand.

"Jessica!" The teacher exclaims. "Is that alcohol in my classroom!?" She rips the bottle out my hands and slams it down on the desk.

"But I-"

"That is your first strike! Your lucky I didn't catch you drinking it or it would be two strikes!" She exclaims.

The bell rings signalling the end of class and I march out the door after Kieran. "I just took a strike for you and you don't even say thank you?!" I yell at him.

"I didn't ask you to take that strike for me." He snaps.

"But I did. And that was my first strike I've ever gotten!" I exclaim.

"I doubt you'll use the other two which means your good." He argues with a smirk.

"Your so annoying and immature and just so-" I stop when I see the smirk growing on his face.

"No please, continue. I didn't mean to stop you." He scoffs.

"Grow up!"