Hostage

Jess's POV:

I wake up in my bed at Kieran's house as I have for the past couple of mornings. Maybe it was all a dream? I sit up and feel a sharp pain in my head, my wrist wrapped up in a bandage and my ankle swollen, it was not a dream.

I head downstairs and into the open plan kitchen and living room. I see a man stood by the couch; he had black hair and brown eyes, his dark shirt could be buttoned up at the front but he chose to leave it open for me to see his body, it was good but no where near as good as Kieran's. "I'm guessing your Carter." I state, staying behind the island in the kitchen.

"Ah smart and beautiful." He says. "And you are?"

"Jess." I reply.

"Brave and truthful too." He states.

"Stop acting like you know me, trying to discover things about me." I sass, crossing my arms.

"Fine then I'll skip the small talk and get right to it." He says. "If my brother isn't here in the next hour I will kill you."

"What!?" I choke out.

"I played fair, I've given him twenty four hours to come find you. He's on his last." Carter defends.

"I've been unconscious for twenty three hours and you didn't think that I could be dead?" I ask.

"I checked on you, I knew you'd wake up sooner or later." He explains.

"And what about Kieran? He could still be knocked out or dead."

"Your injuries we're worse than any of his, if you awoken I knew he would."

"Why are you doing this?"

"See my brother owes me a lot of money because I bought him drugs which stopped his suffering, now I'm going to bring his suffering back by killing the ones he loves." Carter explains.

Realising I'm dealing with a psychopath, I open the draw in the island and pull out a sharp butchers knife before shutting it again. I hold it tightly in my hand and wait until I will need it.

"Just out of interest, how do you know my brother?"

"Why do you care?" I snarl.

"Oh I don't, I just am trying to work out if he loves you enough to save you." He smirks, sitting down on the couch. "Be a sweetheart and bring me a drink."

I look out the window to see the sun rising, it's morning. I remember the car accident, I wonder if Kieran's okay. "My thirst won't quench itself!" He calls at me.

I walk over to the fridge and pull out a beer before walking over to him. I hand him the drink, he takes it and as I pull my hand away he grabs my wrist and holds it tightly. "'My favourite." Carter smirks.

"It's Kieran's favourite too, guess you really are brothers." I reply. Suddenly Carter stands up and pulls my hand over the couch, dragging my body along with it until I'm lay back down on the comfy furniture.

"Never compare me to that low life of a boy." He spits at me, moving his grip from my wrist to my neck.

"Your calling him a low life, you just got out of prison and the first thing you do is cause a car crash and hold me hostage." I snap back at him before I pull the knife out my pocket and stab him in the arm he's using to hold me.

I get up from the couch and run to the door, pulling the knife out and holding it to my side.