Chapter 8

My adrenaline was rushing. But I was ready. I was ready to not actually reject Derek, but kind of just let him down easy. God, I've never had to let someone down. Actually, now that I think of it, I'd never let a hot guy like Derek down, ever! I've never actually had a boyfriend either, and 4 weeks ago if I told myself that I was rejecting a really hot guy that actually kind of wanted me, I'd probably laugh at myself and say that there's no way in hell that I'd ever reject a hot guy that wanted me!

It'd be the first time that some guy actually wanted me! And I wouldn't be stupid enough to reject him! Although me, 4 weeks ago wouldn't know that the guy I had to reject was my mate or more like I was his mate. Either way, me 4 weeks ago wouldn't know the circumstances now.

I was halfway to the pack house, my nerves running with hella sweaty palms. I was walking pretty slow, very hesitant if I must say so myself. I was almost there! Halfway to the pack house, not that far at all! I was ready! I was really going to do this and I was okay with that, nervous as hell, but okay with it.

"Allison?" But of course, the moon goddess or whatever the hell her or it is named distracted me stopped me from actually getting to the pack house. "Hey! Eric!" It was Eric. I hadn't seen him actually at the pack house, or pack territory.

Hmm

I only saw him at school in practically all my classes. "Hey! What are you doing?!" He asked, approaching me. He was wearing a gray beanie, some navy blue joggers, and black zip up hoodie with a white shirt underneath it.

He looked hot and I was more than positive that he probably had a bunch of girls drooling over him practically every day! NO exaggeration!

"I was just taking a walk." I shrug, obviously lying. I wasn't the best liar but he seemed to buy it. Maybe fate was on my side today, and was helping me get away with lying?

"Cool, well if you aren't busy a bunch of pack members are heading towards a bonfire in the woods, you should totally come!" He says. 

Damn. A bonfire away from all my problems sounded terrific! Amazing!

But that would just further distract me from what I actually needed to do right now... But I'm 18! I should be joining him, going to this stupid bonfire where most of the teens in this pack were about to get drunk off their asses.

I shouldn't be worrying about rejecting the alpha, who isn't a teen and actually is 25. I mean I shouldn't even be having to reject a 25-year-old! That's too old for me, right? UGH!

"Yeah, I'll come." I nod. "Great! But it's probably gonna get cold, do you have a hoodie or something, is your home close?" He asked, arching his eyebrow.

 I didn't exactly want to backtrack because that would take me off track of getting off track if you understand me?

"No I don't, I'll be fine." I shrug. He shakes his head, looking at me like I'm slightly crazy. "It's gonna be like 20 degrees tonight, and no offense but you're only human." I watched as he took off his zip up hoodie and started putting it on me.

"Wait, how'd you know I was human?" I ask, narrowing my eyes at him. "Well, word gets around, also us werewolves can tell if a person is human or not." He shrugs. I frown, biting my lip. 

"Thanks." I let him slip the hoodie on me. "Are you sure you're not gonna get cold?" I ask. 

"I'm a werewolf, in case you haven't noticed, we're naturally warm." He points out. He had a point. "Come on let's go." He grabbed my hand, forcing me to jog away with him, away from the pack house and away from my responsibilities.

~~

"How is everyone so nice here?" I ask Eric, approaching him after my long bond with some girl about the color of my nail polish.

Eric was sitting on the dirt, against a huge tree, staring at the bonfire and drinking a beer. The bonfire lit up a good portion of the woods. 

He shrugs. "We're a pack, excepting of everyone around us." He shrugged, smiling as if remembering something. I wondered what he was remembering. 

"That sounds nice," I whisper. He nods before handing me his beer. I took a drink of it, sitting back on the branch. "So when did you join this pack? Or have you've always been in it?" I ask. "Uh well, I haven't always been in it." He murmurs, suddenly looking uncomfortable.

"Oh- well you don't have to tell me if you don't want to," I whisper, looking away awkwardly. "It isn't a secret or anything." He mutters. "I joined this pack about 3 years ago after my parents were killed, actually slaughtered in front of me." He whispers. I withheld my gasp.

But my heart broke for him. Imagine having your parents slaughtered in front of you? That would be the most heartbreaking thing for me. I'd probably have no will to live, although I wasn't about to tell him that.

"Wow, I'm sorry that must've been- sad." Well, I was a complete idiot, using the most obvious words in the world!

The most stupidest thing to say in this situation!!

"Yeah, but alpha Derek brought me in and well, I've been here since." He shrugged, giving me a sad smile.

"It's a good pack," I whisper, unsure what to exactly say. "Hell yeah, all these people who are drunk as hell, they're all my best friends." He laughs slightly. "And I'll probably have to get them back to their homes by myself." He adds. 

He was right, he and I were probably the only sober ones here. Everyone seemed overly drunk. "I can help you get them home," I say with a shrug. I had nothing going on after this.

Although it was almost 3 in the morning.

"Really?" He asks, arching his eyebrow at me. "Yeah, totally. What else would I have to do that's better than facing pissed off parents once I get their drunk teen home?" I ask sarcastically. He chuckles, shaking his head. "Sounds like a plan."