(11) Beth Greene

Gif from: Alone (S04E13)

You were found outside the gates of the prison. Your family were devoured by walkers, and your last group were crazy, so you left. Rick was hesitant to let you in, but after Hershel talked some sense in hi, he decided to let you stay. Within a couple of days, you were pretty much a part of the group. Everyone took a liking to you. Beth took a special liking to you. Maybe it's because you were the only girl her age, or the fact that she admired your strong demeanor. She had to beg Rick to let you bunk with her. And when Rick said you could, she couldn't have been more excited.

You thought Beth was a nice girl. You hadn't met many people your age, maybe one or two from your last group, but you never spoke to them. Beth was the one that showed you and round and introduced you to everyone. She would take to you to help with her shifts whether it was clearing the fence or watching Judith. And when not working, she would tell you about her life before. Hershel and Maggie thought it was great that Beth made a new friend. Beth wasn't like anyone you had ever met before, and to be honest, you kind of liked it.

It was late at night and everyone was fast asleep, except for you and Beth. You had been tossing and turning all night trying to get some sleep, but your eyes stayed wide awake. Beth was in the bed across from you, writing in her journal. You could hear her softly humming a song that you were unfamiliar with. You sighed, giving up on sleep. You just laid awake, staring at the ceiling. You silently listened to Beth's soft humming. You thought her voice was really soothing, and it made you a little sleepy. Suddenly, an idea popped in your head.

"Hey Beth"

'Yeah?"

"Can you, sing me a song?"

"Really?

"Yeah"

Beth closed her journal and sat up to face you. The only person she ever sang to was Judith and sometimes Hershel. She never thought people would like her singing, thought that it would just annoy people. So, it was a surprise when you asked her to sing to her.

"I thought my singing annoyed you"

"What makes you think that?"

"I don't know. I just assumed everyone hated my singing"

You sat up and looked at her. You didn't know why everyone hated her singing. You thought that she had an amazing singing voice. You would hear her sing to Judith to try to get her to sleep, and you thought her voice was beautiful. She has the kind of voice that makes everything peaceful.

"Well, I don't"

Beth thinks about it for a moment. You were the first person that wanted you to sing. She always knew that underneath all that strong demeanor, there was a soft spot inside.

"OK"

She started to sing softly, trying not to wake the others. You listened as the sleep started to take over you. You slowly laid down on your bed and closed your eyes, letting the sleep consumed you. Beth continued to sing while you dream with Beth's voice still heard in the distance.

Ever since that night, you let Beth sing to you. Her voice was the medicine to keep you in check. When Beth sings to you, it was like magic. When the prison fell, and you guys were on the road, she still sang to you. When Beth went missing, you fought like hell just to find her, to hear her voice again. When you found that Beth was dead, you were crushed. Your best friend, her sift voice that always calmed you down, was not just a memory. You would forget that voice, you couldn't. She would always be in your mind until the day you die.

Actor: Emily Kinney