13

*Opening Night of Hamilton: An American Musical at the Public Theatre*

Amy's POV
I got nice and early. I knew I was gonna be busy. I quickly got changed into my jogging gear and put my runners on. It was about 6 am in the morning.
"Come on. Let's go for a walk." I said to my dog and clipped her lease on and we left. I walked around the block a couple of times. I knew I had to plan my day. I would speak to the caters soon. Make sure they're organised. Make sure everything is organised. Nothing can bring me down today. I was planning to have a nap later as well, before the show. I found a cute little florist which just opened up. A lady name Nancy ran this place.
"Hey. I was just wondering if I could get a couple of bunches of flowed delivered to the Public Theatre tonight. I've got a couple of friends in a show." I smiled and the lady nodded.
"Choose which arrangements you would like and I'll get them delivered for you." She smiled. I looked around the small room. I found a bouquet for Phillipa and Lin, writing a small good luck message on the side. I found a box of flowers which I really liked. I smiled and knew I should give them to Anthony. I know, it's weird giving flowers to a guy, but hey, it's a one off.

- Best of Luck Freckles. Break a Leg. A x

I wrote one the card. I asked for them to be delivered by 5pm. I was too distracted by the flowers and my dog I didn't hear my phone ring. As I was walking home I decided to listen to the answering machine from the unknown number.

"Hey Amy. Sorry about the late notice. Our kitchen was infested my rats overnight and all our stock is ruined. We are unable to provide any food for your event night. Best of luck though."

Those fuckers. Just as I thought everything was going alright, I feel like today isn't gonna be my day. Dad knew that I was gonna be especially busy today so he took Charlie out to the zoo or something. I looked at my phone and noticed I had missed a call from Anthony. I was too frustrated to speak to him. I mean, right now I wanted to speak to him. But I wanted to impress him. And Lin. And the whole cast and crew. This was my moment. To prove to everyone that I am successful and it doesn't matter if you're a female or not, how old you are or what you studied or where you came from. I sat on my bed and sighed. My eyes darted to a photo on my bedside table. The framed photo was of myself and my Mom. It was Christmas time. Just before she passed. I remember that year clearly. I graduated. I got an early acceptance. We moved here. Her last words circled my head.

"Believe in Yourself."

My eyes filled with a layer of tears. I knew what I had to do. I picked up my phone and texted Bennys number.

- Benny. I need you to come to mine. Oh, and bring your sister. It's an emergency.

I was texted Maria and Andy from the cafe. Andy was our apprentice chef. He was my age. He was from France.

~*~

I was around 11am when they got here.
"What's the problem?" Maria asked rushing into my home. Maria and Andy left the others in charge of the cafe. I sighed.
"Remember how I told you I was in charge of the opening, well, my catering just bailed on me. I need everyone's help."
"Okay." Andy said. "What do you need?" I pulled out my laptop. Before you knew it, I had given everyone jobs. Andy was in charge of running down to Wal-Mart with me to collect ingredients. Maria was going to help me make some cupcakes and Andy was going to make the canapés. Bennys sister was studying hospitality. I knew she would be good. I needed her to help serve food. I grab my card and Maria had her keys. We exited my apartment. We bumped into Lin. "Looking forward to tonight?" He chuckled and I froze.
"Absolutely." I choked.
"Well, I'm looking forward to it." He smiled and went back into his apartment.

The shop at Wal-Mart was insane. Do you know what it's like shopping for food on a time limit, making sure you're not missing any ingredients. We were all in different sections on the supermarket. I felt like I was in 'The Amazing Race' yet it was based in a supermarket. We all made it back to my apartment. We had at least 30 bags of food and ingredients. I pulled out some paper and a pen.
"What canapés can you do? Remember, some need to have no nuts, no lactose, no meat, no soy, no -"
"Amy. Don't stress. I've got this. I promise." Andy laughed turned on the stove top.
"Hey Maria. Remember those cupcake recipes you gave me. Could you make those? And the espresso ones? I need four different flavours. To represent each of the founding fathers." I told her and she pulled out the bowls to begin mixing. Benny's sister, Nadia was busy helping a fruit basket. You know, this fancy ones that look like a bouquet of flowers. She was so good. Placing each piece of fruit it an ordered fashion.
"I've gotta get changed. I'll be back in a few." I knew I had to be quick. I had a shower in record time and quickly got changed. I decided Rose Gold would be appropriate. Lin told me to wear causal clothes but I had to make myself look good and presentable. I knew wearing flats would be a smart idea seeing I would be running around. I smiled in the mirror and placed all my make up in my purse. I walked out and everything was done. I swear to god, these people are my life savers. Andy had make little canapés of fresh oysters and deep fried shrimp wrapped in noddles, mini sandwiches, sushi, sorbet, mini quiches, mango wrapped in prosciutto and a bunch of French canapés. Maria said she would bring the cupcakes to the theatre once they were all iced.

~*~

It was 4pm when I got to the Theatre. Everyone else was getting here at 5pm. I had an hour to get ready. I helped Andy move the food from Bennys car to the bar. I quickly checked on the band who were warming up, and the decorations in the green room. Thank god I wore flats. I said a quick hello to Jason letting him know that I was here, ready when he needed me. He was advising me to get backstage and to change my sparkly top to a plain black one or a t-shirt with a Hamilton quote or photo on it. I looked through his huge box of t-shirts Lin had obviously provided. I let out a giggle when I picked up the perfect one. It was a plain back tee with white ink writing out, 'Laurens, I like you a lot'. I knew Anthony would like it and it would make Phillipa laugh. I placed the shirt and my purse my the stage managers desk. I headed back to the bar when some guys were putting up balloons.

I noticed the bar men were all ready to make cocktails. I saw Lin in the corner of my eye run, well, sprint over. "Thank you so much for the flowers." He smiled hugging me.
"No worries. They came early." I said shocked.
"Look at you. You look great." He said looking at my outfit.
"Busy day?" He asked me and I nodded.
"You have no idea." I giggled. "Our cater bailed so we've spent the last hour cooking. Maria is still yet to bring more food." I smiled and Lin nodded.
"How many shirts do you need?" He asked me.
"Oh. Four. I need two large, for Benny and Andy. A medium for Maria and a small for Nadia. Actually speaking of Benny." I said and whistled him over. "He really wants to meet you. Sorry." I gulped.
"Hey. I'm always happy to meet fans. You know that." Lin laughed and Benny walked over. He froze when he stood across from Lin.
"Benny. You okay there?" I laughed waving my hand over his face. He didn't blink.
"Would you like a photo or something?" Lin asked and Benny nodded. Benny gave me his phone and I took a photo of the two of them. "Oh, I almost forgot. I have your ear piece. When they ask, can you open the front doors and start business. Don't forget to save some food until the end. It all looks so good!" Lin said passing me my headset and I clipped it onto my pants and clips my microphone on my blazer and headphone in my ear.
"Ohmygod I totally blew my it. Didn't I?" Benny said coming back to life when Lin left.
"Well, yeah. You could say that." I laughed.
"Alright Amy. People have started arriving. Open the doors." Jason said through the ear piece. As I opened the doors, I noticed how long the queue was to get in, and the red carpet they had created. I sighed, knowing that my work here is done and I can't change anything.