50

A/N: There will be a proposal in this chapter or the next chapter. Don't get too exited though 😜

25th of December

Amy's POV
"Amy!!! Get up! It's Christmas!" Charlie shouted in my ear shaking my body. "Santa came! You have to come. Come on!" Charlie giggled dragging me out of bed. I picked up my phone and looked at the time. It's freaking 5:30am. Dad and I placed the last of presents under the tree just past midnight.  I rubbed my eyes tiredly. "Look at all the presents!" Charlie squealed.
"Charlie. Be quiet. Lin can hear you." I smiled at her excitement. I knew Lin would kill me if we woke him up early. Charlie opened up her bright red stocking. It had her name written on it with silver cursive writing. She began opening up the gifts one by one.
"Chocolate!" She said placing the box of chocolates next to her. I made sure I had my phone at the ready to take photos of her. I allowed Dad to sleep because he needs enough for his medicine to work.
"Look! Bathers!" She smiled at the Disney printed one suit. She picked up another box just as Dad slowly walked out of his room and sat next to me on the couch. Rosco jumped on his lap and sniffed around and then fell asleep. "What's in the last box?" Charlie asked shaking the box near her ear. I giggled at her excitement. She ripped open the paper and gasped.
"SANTA GOT ME AN IPAD!" She squealed. "Look Daddy! He got me an iPad."
"I can see Charls." He smiled proudly.
"Daddy. Can you tell Santa that I say thank you?"
"No worries honey." He smiled and picked up a box which was for me.
"I hope it's a puppy." I joked and he patted Rosco.
"You're not getting any more pets." He rolled his eyes. I opened up the box and it had a piece of paper which was folded. I looked at dad with confusion written all over my face.
"Open it." He said and I placed the empty box on the ground. I tore untied the ribbon off the paper and carefully read what was inside.

Dear Miss Amy Smith,

I am writing to congratulate you on your acceptance into receiving your Dual American-New Zealand Citizenship. Your certificate is attached to this letter. We are extremely happy to have you as a citizen her in the United States. We hope you use your skills wisely and enjoy every moment of being an American Citizen.

Many Thanks,

The Department of Foreign Affairs America.

Underneath was President Barack Obamas signature. I doubt that he sighed it but- OHMYGOD THIS IS SO EXCITING.
"Dad!" I gasped and hugged him tightly almost squishing the dog in between us. "How? When? I thought I had to-" Dad cut me off by putting a finger to my lips.
"I have some who helped." He chuckled.
"Who?" I asked him excitedly, looking down at the parchment.
"Just people." He told me. I shook my head. "Fine. I'll tell you." He said and I looked at him.
"I got some help from Vanessa. She brought it up during dinner once and she said she would help me bring it to the courts and get you accepted with out doing a test."
"Okay so Vanessa helped." I said.
"Oh and Phillipa and her parents read about you to a judge. They spoke about your work, and achievements."
"Anyone else?"
"Well Anthony-" my face lit up. My eyes were now filling with a thin layer of water.
"He wrote numerous letters to the government pushing for you to become a citizen. He wrote and spoke in court about your love for your family and the work you do behind the scenes. Paying for our bills, working in Hamilton, working three jobs, attending college and becoming a motherly figure to Charlie. Also speaking so Charlie. We were also able to get you to become a legal guardian of hers." Dad smiled. I used my sleeve to wipe my tears out of my eyes. "If it wasn't for Anthony, you would've have become a citizen." I smiled. I'm going to yell at him when I see him. How dare he not tell me and keep it all a secret. I was truely speechless. I just had to burst out in tears.
"What's wrong Amy?" Charlie asked me hugging my legs. I picked her up and placed her on my knees.
"Dad. I d-don't know what to say." I said to him.
"Your emotions say enough sweetheart." He smiled at kissed my head.