23

Anthony's POV
"And then we saw the lions, and then we left and then we went to the park so Grandma and Grandpa could have coffee and I got a doughnut and that's when I saw you!" Charlie said re-telling the same story for the third time in a row. I shrugged it off. She's so cute. Charlie's bedroom door opened and Amy stood there.
"Ohmygod I am so sorry. I didn't know you were coming here." Amy said and rushed over and hugged me as I stood up.
"Babe. It's fine." I chuckled. "Your grandparents are really nice." I smiled and kissed her forehead and I noticed Amy look at her little sister.
"They haven't done any of their tribal dances yet." Charlie smiled and Amy sighed with relief. "I'm sorry? Tribal dance?" I let out a laugh and sat back down on Charlie's bed with Amy next to me.
"Our grandparents are from New Zealand. Well, a little island just off the coast. They've from a huge line of Polynesian ancestry. They like to tell us stories. They want us to move back to the island with them. Which we can't because we have a life in New York. Isn't that right Charlie?" Amy said and looked at the ground.
"Yep. And I would miss all my friends here." Charlie pouted. I could tell that they've clearly had this conversation before and they don't wish to speak about it.
"Oh! How are you feeling? Have they given you any mediation or anything?" Amy asked and caressed my cheek and I smiled.
"Nope. I'm all good." I said and she pecked my lips.
"Ewww! That's gross. Boys are yuck." Charlie groaned and I laughed.
"But you were just telling me about your boyfriend Daveed." I stretched and swung my arm around Amy's shoulders and tackled her into a hug.
"Don't you dare feckless." She smiled and tried to push me off her. "Nah uh. Not happening!" She said wiggling out of my grip. I smiled and kissed her temple.
"Daveed is an exception. Because his my boyfriend." Charlie said. I gulped. I almost forgot she was in here.
"Dinners ready!" Amy's father shouted from the kitchen.
"Hey. You didn't tell me your father was a black belt in karate." I said opening the door for us to leave the room. I noticed Amy roll her eyes.
"You've been here for thirty minutes and he's already told you? Wow. He really just hate your guts." Amy smiled at me.
"I don't know if you're being serious or not." I questioned and sat down at the table next to her.
"Oh I am." She said and poked her tongue out at me. If her grandparents weren't watching, I would've just make out with her then and there. But I obviously had to control myself.

"So, Anthony. Where did you meet Amy?" Amy's grandmother asked me and I felt Amy place her hand on my thigh as she spoke to me. Her father placed a tray of roast vegetables under my nose.
"Oh, we met at my work. I'm currently in a play, called Hamilton. It's my first serious production. Amy works backstage." I smiled and Amy looked at her grandmother.
"Oh well. Isn't that nice?" She sweetly said and I noticed Amy relax a little. As the night went on, Amy's grandmother would continue to ask numerous questions about my family and personal life.
"Mootua. Isn't that a little personal?" Amy would question every now and again.
"No. Amy. It's fine." I said and kissed her temple and answered her grandmother question about my parents and there separation.
"I am so sorry about her." Amy whispered as she took my plate off the table to clean up. I got up to help.
"Anthony sit. It's the females job to clean." Amy's grandfather said.
"Ruau. I told you. We have different values and ways of life in New York." Amy's father said and I knew I had to dart away from that conversation.
"So, your grandparents are cool." I said and started conversation as Amy placed the dirty dishes in the dish washer. She shrugged. "I suppose so. Again, I so sorry about my Mootua and Ruau." Amy said and grabbed a plate off me.
"It's all good. They clearly care about you. I counted the amount of times they asked you to go back with them. Eight. Eight times. Amy, if you want to go back to New Zealand. That's fine." Well it's really not. Because we've only just stated this relationship and I'm already meeting her family. Well, this could be good I suppose. I guess I'm in.
"Kuia! Come quick. We have to discuss your tribal tattoo." I noticed Amy became stiff.
"You alright?" I asked her and she shrugged. "Maybe stay here whilst I talk to them." She said and kissed my cheek and squeezed my hands.

I stayed in the kitchen continue to clean. I couldn't understand anything what was happening or going on. I think they were speaking a native tongue. From tonight I've figured out that Kuia is granddaughter, Mootua is grandmother and Ruau is grandfather. I'm actually so glad I didn't go to the party Jasmine and I were throwing. I just wanted to get out of the hospital room as soon as I could. I thought it was strange the way she acted around me in the hospital when my mother was around. I spoke highly of Amy and my moms seems really interested in her. I actually think she'd like her. I smiled at the meeting I was imagining in my head. My mother and Amy share a lot of traits. They always say, date someone who is like your mother. Amy is both strong headed and bold. I noticed the murmuring because louder. Maybe I should leave. I noticed Charlie run into her room, covering her ears. I wanted to know what they were saying. I could barely make out any of the words.
"Now isn't the time to discuss Amy going to New Zealand for her 21st. End of discussion." I heard Amy's fathers voice boom and echo.
"Your mother always wanted you to have one." I heard her grandmother say.
"Don't you dare bring her into this conversation." I finally her Amy say. She was clearly touched my this subject. From what I could put together was that, there was a tradition, and a dance, and a tattoo, and a ceremony and a bunch of tribal stuff. It sounded kinda cool. Amy hasn't really spoken much about her mother to me, so I knew I shouldn't really ask. Phillipa had mention a couple of weeks ago, when we met that her mother had passed, but that's all I knew about that subject. I knew I had to get Amy out of that conversation.
"Oh shit." I said and looked at my phone. "Hey Amy. There's been an accident at my apartment. You may wanna come. It involves Benny." I gulped. Geez my acting skills are on point tonight.
"Oh crap. Is he okay?" Amy said looking at me thankfully.
"I don't know. He was asking for you. I just got off the phone to Daveed. We should go."
"Oh we should. I'll go get my purse and phone. Could you book an Uber?" Amy asked and I nodded. Amy left and her father walked over to me and shook my hand.
"You know, you're a good kid." He whispered. "I'll explain everything to you later." He suggested.
"I'm sure Amy will tell me when she's ready." I smiled.
"I like you already." He said and Charlie came out of her room.
"Can I come see Daveed?" She whispered and I picked her up and cuddled her.
"Oh course you can." I said and Amy came back out of her room and took my hand and left.