Chapter 19 The Howls

"Well they have blocked all entrances into the woods. A couple got into the territory and that's probably how that mother got poisoned. We'll have someone check into that. We've already come with our strategy, it consists of careful and large border patrols and fighting together. We will take the front attackers and Ryan's pack will support us," Kyle told me referring to our pack and Ryan's.  I nodded my head as I ran the strategy through in my mind.

"What is gonna happen to the boy? What about help from neighboring packs? They have to have had problems with these rouges also," I asked Kyle.

"We asked the Grigori pack, but we haven't had any response from them. And the kid? He'll probably be put in the orphanage on the pack land," Kyle told me running a hand through his hair, clearly frustrated.

An eery, run down building filled with rats and crumbling walls ran through my mind. The rooms had a small window, an uncomfortable cot with no bedding except a scratchy thin blanket, grey dull walls and concrete floor. The food had cockroaches piling out of it and the entertainment was watching two rats fighting over cheese. I had been sent there after my family died while my siblings were taken into the pack house. And I stayed there for three years until I had been taken to the pack house to be there servant.

No child had been there longer than five minutes before being adopted, except me. A family would take them in, knowing that the orphanage was not fit for a child, but the place left them with recurring nightmares and chills. It had taken my years of getting use to the awful place.

My mind rushed to find a way out for the child while I followed Kyle and Nathan over to a table. I didn't want to adopt the child, he needed parents not a single parent who raised him. I wouldn't be fit for the job with all the assignments I was handed, anyways. I was rarely at the house for more than a month before being gone for three. The little guy needed someone who could be there and help him through the memories of his dying mom. Couples ran through my head as I tried to find one that would love to have him and was suited to the raise the little guy.

Mary and Henry crossed my mind and I knew it was perfect match. They couldn't have a child after Mary miscarried, something about it being to dangerous for her. They had yearned so badly for a child and were searching for a way to fill that empty piece of their life.

"Hey, I know the orphanage on the pack lands and it's not fit for any child. Sure most aren't there for more than five minutes, but it still leaves recurring nightmares. Why don't we take him with us and let Mary and Henry adopt him? They would love the little guy! He could be raised in the arts of fighting and become a big help when he becomes older," I reasoned with Kyle, hoping that he would agree with my proposal. Kyle pondered on the thought for a couple of minutes, thinking about the pros and cons for the pack, he had to choose what was best for the pack.

"Fine," Kyle told me.

"Mary and Henry have been thinking about adopting, but it's kind of difficult to find a werewolf child without parents. Most of them don't live if their parents die or are immediately adopted by someone in their pack. I think they'll be thrilled about the little guy," Nathan added to the conversation as Christy walked up.

"Are we talking about Trey," she asked, sitting down on the bench next to me.

"Who's Trey? Your imaginary boyfriend," Jace teased, leaning across the table towards her with a smirk.

"You hang out way to much with my brother," she told him narrowing her eyes and giving him  a you-are-an-idiot look. "Anyways, no, Trey is the little boy. Patrick is my imaginary boyfriend," she told him answering his question, flipping her long hair over her hot pink tank top that only accentuated the dark tan that she had attained. Jake rolled his eyes as Jace leaned back astonished at her reply.