Dark

I apologise in advance for this part 🙈

She found that saying goodbye to him was hard. She held onto him tightly as he kissed her gently and he placed his hands either side of her cheeks.

"Wait for me won't you, I'll see you soon," he told her,

"Who else would I want?"

"Oh I don't know some handsome doctor to sweep you off your feet?"

She smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck, "why would I want a doctor when I have my own tall, dark, handsome nurse here?"

"Talk like that is making me want to take you back up to bed,"

She kissed him, "we've had enough sex over the last few days to last us weeks..."

"Speak for yourself," he replied fondly and she smiled,

"I'm going, I love you mr. Masters."

He kissed her gently, "I love you sweetcheeks."

There wasn't time to react. It all happened at once, the screeching tires, the flashing lights and the awful, deep, pounding headache. She could feel her eyes growing heavy and she gasped, the pain in her head worse than she'd ever experienced. She got her phone, dialling 999 as she realised she couldn't move, managing to utter a few words before her whole world went dark.

"Connie Chase, 36, deep lacerations to the head, neck and right shoulder, her leg is trapped... We can just about feel a femoral pulse... only responsive to pain... Her phone is now in a plastic bag, can someone call her next of kin..."

He smiled as he saw his phone ringing on the sofa, he answered it, a smile on his face,

"Missing me already my beautiful girl?"

He sat down slowly onto the sofa as the Consultant explained to him what had happened,

"I need to see her... I..."

"Mr. Masters, do not drive, I'm going to send a police car to get you."

He covered his hand with his mouth as he saw her barely recognisable car pressed up against a tree. The flashing lights of the emergency services made his heart leap, and he promptly threw up onto the grass verge.

"They're about to cut her out now Mr. Masters, you need to stand back,"

"Is she awake?"

"No... Look the sooner she's out, the sooner we can get her treated."

"Jesus Connie," he cursed, stepping into the air ambulance and taking her hand. He was silent on the way to the hospital, he didn't quite know what to say and he wasn't quite ready to break down in front of all these people.

"Jacob," his boss uttered, watching as he walked into the hospital, "I know she's your girl... But we can't have you in theatre with us okay... I promise I'll come and get you when we know more,"

"I love her," he told his boss quietly,

He nodded, "this is a good team, we will look after her I promise."

Six hours later he sat by her bedside, his hand holding her own gently.

"I don't know what to say to you," he told her quietly, "you've shown me what it's like to feel physical, mental, extraordinary and every other type of love and I'm not ready for you to leave me yet,"

He kissed her forehead gently, "I've only just found you Connie Chase, we've got so many more places we promised we'd visit together."