New job

She sat on the work top of her house and sighed as she watched him make two mugs of coffee.

"This is a nice place you have here," he smiled and she shrugged,

"It's far too big but I... Do you think I could rent it out rather than sell it?"

He nodded, "sweetheart, you do whatever you think is best,"

She nodded, "I'll call the estate agent... Put it up for rent."

She had a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach that she couldn't quite place. She sat down as she remembered her friends and colleagues that she'd left behind so suddenly.

"What is it?" He asked and she sighed,

"I feel a bit lost," she admitted, "can we go to the hospital... I... In guess I spent more time there than anywhere else,"

"I'll call Charlie," he nodded,

"So we're losing you to Cardiff are we?" He asked and she shrugged, "I guess so I just... It feels so strange being back here,"

"Well we best get a date in the diary for me and Duffy to come and visit,"

She hugged him gently, "I'm scared Charlie,"

He nodded, "I know... But what of sweetheart? If you find that Cardiff isn't for you, you can always come home... Do you love him?"

"I love Jacob more than anything," she told him gently, "but I'm so scared it will all go wrong again,"

She let herself in a few hours later to see Jacob in the kitchen, dancing to the radio. She smiled, pressing a kiss to his cheek, before slipping up onto the work surface,

He stepped in between her legs and placed his hands gently on her cheeks. She closed her eyes as he pressed gentle kisses to first her forehead, then across her eye lids and down her neck.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and he pressed his lips to her temple as he held her in a comfortable silence.

"I'm sorry," she told him quietly, and he lifted her from the work surface to sit on his lap in the living room,

"What for?" He asked, his mouth against her hair as she held onto his t shirt and cuddled against him,

"It can't have been easy putting up with me how I was after my accident and... And I..." She shrugged, "I'm scared I'm not enough for you,"

"Listen to me," he told her, holding her more tightly and kissing her hands,

"You are more than enough for me... I wake up every day grateful for you, seeing you cut out of that car made me realise how I love you, and just how special you are to me... You are more than enough,"

Over the next few days she packed up and boxed her things. He came into the living room to see her sat cross legged on the floor surrounded by photographs. He noticed how she held onto one of the two of them in Vietnam. They looked happy and she held out her hand and guided him to sit beside her,

"I spoke to my sister this morning," she told him, as he sat behind her, pressing his lips against her hair.

"She told me I was selfish to leave... And she wouldn't tell me why we fell out all those years ago... I offered to see her before I went but I'm not sure if I will or not..."

"If moving away is too much, I understand,"

She shook her head, "I applied for the consultant post in a and e in Cardiff... I spoke to them and they're happy to consider a phased return to work and..."

She leaned back against him, "I want to be where you are... If my sister can't cope with that then maybe we shouldn't keep in touch."

"Is that Jacobs woman?" He heard one of the Registrars utter as they watched Connie walk into the managers office for her interview.

"Yes, eyes and hands to yourself mate," Jacob rolled his eyes and his colleague shook his head,

"I can see why your so taken with her... She's gorgeous,"

"Like I said mate, hands off," he nodded.

Jacob watched as she shook hands with the Consultant that had treated her when she was admitted.

"So he's persuaded you to stay Miss Chase," he smiled and she nodded,

"I hear it's you who saved my life... So thank you,"

He smiled, "you're welcome... Welcome to the team."

She saw him looking at her and he smiled, "I have a break now... Want to get lunch together?" He asked, unable to drop his smile as she slipped her hand into his own and kissed his cheek.

She slipped onto his lap and his hands automatically fell to her dark hair, "they offered me the job," she admitted, "I can start next month..."

"That's my girl," he smiled, his hands running gently through her hair as she pressed her lips to his forehead,

"Do you have any annual leave?" She asked and he nodded, "where do you want to go?"

"Sri Lanka... And Goa..." She told him, "id love to explore, and also spend a few days on a beach with you..." She smiled, moving her lips to his ear, "topless... Like in that photograph,"

He almost spat out his coffee, "Connie,"

She laughed, "I should let you get back to work..."

"I have the next three days of work... How about we take a trip down to the sea... We could go tomorrow morning?"

She pressed her lips to his, "I'll see you later, hope your shift is quiet..."

"Con..." He begun and he took her arm gently,

"I'm so glad I'll soon get to call you my colleague."