Hurting

She sat up as she heard a knock on her door, "fancy some company?" He asked, and she smiled,

"That would be nice," she replied. She watched as he sat down beside her bed, and she could tell that he was sad.

"I'm sorry," she told him, "I so desperately wish I could remember you,"

"It's okay," he told her gently,

"It's not," she uttered, "I can't remember anything... I've just spoken to my sister and she... She said we haven't spoken in five years and that she'd heard I'd broken up with Michael... She said I worked in an ED... Not cardiothoracics... None of this is making sense,"

"How are you feeling?"

"I have a pounding headache and I..."

"Then close your eyes and go to sleep," he smiled kindly,

"What happened between Michael and I?" She asked and he sighed, "are you sure you want to hear this?"

She nodded, "at the moment... In my mind he's my husband and I need to know what made me fall out of love with him,"

"I only know what you told me," he told her, "you said you'd caught him having an affair and that he promised you it was a one off." She raised an eyebrow and pulled the sheets higher up over herself, "you said you tried to forgive him, but you caught him with a woman about six months ago... And you got a divorce,"

She could feel her eyes filling with tears of frustration, "so much for sickness and in health hey," she uttered and he nodded, "I'm sorry,"

"Where's Paul?" She asked and he sighed sadly, "he's gone to get some food, he will be back soon."

He watched how her demeanour changed when Paul entered the room and he couldn't help the feeling of complete despair that settled in the pit of his stomach.

"I'll pop by tomorrow Con," he nodded and she took his hand gently,

"Come early, watch the sunrise with me,"

He inhaled slowly, before bending forward and kissing her forehead,

"In that case I'll see you at sunrise,"

"I can't believe I've seen him naked and I don't remember it," she uttered as she cuddled into Paul that night,

"That sounds like the Connie I know," he smiled, "try dating him again Connie... Reach out to him, he's hurting too..."