Home

"Thank you," Charlie told Jacob as they watched her practising getting on and off the floor with the physio, and up and down the stairs.

Jacob shook his head, "you don't need to thank me,"

"I love her Charlie, I know I can't tell her that, I don't want to push or pressurise her but..." He shrugged, "I'd do anything for her, even if it was just as friends."

He watched her talking to his mother and smiled as Connie winked at him.

"You been together long?" The physio asked and Connie smiled,

"We travelled together for months and we only got together right at the end of our trip. After the car accident I lost my memory... I can hardly remember anything over the last few years... Memories come and I struggle to place them, and none of them are in order..."

"He loves you... Even if you are starting as friends," the physio smiled, "he seems like a good man,"

"He is," Connie spoke quietly, "and I want nothing more than to remember him..."

"Then don't give up with this," she nodded, "for him."

He watched as she walked confidently around the gym using a PPAM aid device and a pair of crutches,

"I wish I didn't need crutches for this," she smiled and the physio nodded,

"It's a partial weight bearing device unfortunately, but as soon as the swelling has reduced, which this will help with, we can cast you for your prosthesis."

Connie nodded, "I know, I just want my leg now,"

Jacob smiled, "you'll get there."

She rolled her eyes, "don't you start Masters."

Connie watched as he crouched down in front of her,

"Im sorry I forced you into coming here... I just want you... To feel like you again,"

She exhaled, "it's was a good idea, but being in the actual gym, instead of the physio gym, again... In a wheelchair... It's too hard and too different Jacob,"

He nodded, standing up and helping her manoeuvre the wheelchair out of the gym.

"I could do with a coffee if you've got the time," she told him and he nodded,

"Of course I do."

"So..." He begun... "You're ready for discharge from hospital..."

"Tomorrow... Finally..." She smiled,

"Where do you want to go?" He asked and she shrugged, "Jacob, I don't know,"

"I meant it you know, when I said you are welcome at mine whilst you get your prosthesis..."

"Part of me wants to go home; but my home isn't the home I remember," she admitted, "but I feel like I'll be a burden on you,"

He shook his head, "I wouldn't offer if I didn't mean it Con,"

"What shall I do?" She asked him, and in that moment she looked more lost than he'd ever seen her look.

"Come home with me," he smiled, "and if it isn't what you want, then I will take you home whenever you choose."

She cuddled into his chest, "I can see why I fell in love with you," she spoke quietly.