Chapter Eleven: Marching Ever Forward

The sky was overcast, and there was a strong wind blowing. It seemed as though it might rain hard today. The sea was calm, but showed signs of bringing on a storm soon. Seeing the horizon with composure, Lord Becket admires the scenery. His soldiers are busy at work keeping his ship ready to go at a moment's notice, and soon, he felt someone walk up behind him. He glanced momentarily back, saw that it was a soldier, gave a short smile and nodded, and then proceeded to watch the horizon again. He clasped his hands behind his back and looked up thoughtfully, and then, almost as if he was a teacher giving a lesson, he turned around to face the soldier and then put his hand on his shoulder.

"Tell me, soldier...what does the future hold in your eyes?" he asked calmly. The soldier, looking quite a bit baffled, looked quite confused. He didn't know how to answer, so the only thing he could do was shrug.

"Um...sir?" he asked shyly. Beckett smiled and nodded.

"Ah, my apologies. I'm sure that you probably don't know what I'm talking about. In that case, I'll tell you what I see in the future. In my eyes...I see us claiming what is left to discover of the New World, and then we put an end to the Old World. The pirates that have sailed these waters surely know that their time is upon them. They'll either have to adapt to the New World, or perish...for that is the way of things. The East India Trading Company's goal is to ensure progress and growth for all mankind, and for that, we need to discover every trace of the world that's yet to be discovered! All the edges of the map are finally starting to be filled in...and now all that's left is to find the missing links. What I see in the future...is a profitable investment..." Beckett explained with grace and pride. The soldier looked at him, his eyes shining with inspiration. He nodded in agreement with Beckett and smiled.

"That's mighty right, sir! The future, in this case will be quite bright!" the soldier replied, and at that, Beckett smiled anew.

"Indeed, indeed. So then, what is the status report?" he asked. The soldier then stood firm and cleared his throat.

"Right! We've arrested all the pirates near this area, and they are all being dealt their due sentences! But, the strangest thing of all is that...well, even though they are practically marching to their deaths...they still keep singing that song...they haven't stopped, and with each number of deaths, they seem to sing louder and louder!" the soldier explained. Beckett didn't seem at all surprised by this.

"Ah yes. These pirates are still clinging on to the hope that they can be able to withhold progress and live their lifestyles forever. But, as they are soon to realize, they are in for a severe reality check. Good job with the report, soldier. Keep me informed at all times!" Beckett expressed, and the soldier gave out a salute and nodded.

"Yes, sir!" he proclaimed, and then he left to resume his work. Soon after, Beckett resumed looking at the sea. Then, he felt someone watching him. He simply smiled.

"You do know that you don't have to hide from me, do you now?" Beckett asked aloud. There was a momentarily silence, but shortly after, someone with a black coat appeared, with arms crossed.

"Well, color me impressed. You have quite the acute senses there." the black coat remarked. Beckett shook his head.

"Merely just my instincts." he mused. He then kept silent, urging the black coat to keep talking.

"I've reported everything about your work to my Superior so far. She's most impressed, and she said that she's ready to help you at a moment's notice." the black coat said.