Chapter Two: Family

If you see the name "Skye" anywhere it's because I changed that name to Ella! thanks!

Chapter Two:

Family

________________

We pulled into the elementary school's parking lot and stopped the car, each of us getting out and slamming the doors shut behind us. Matt held his water bottle tight in his fingers as he pranced up onto the sidewalk that led to the school's front entrance. He was always happy when he got to play basketball.

He played one other year, last year, since he was unable to play in kindergarten. It may not seem like Kindergartners can play, but they get excited about it.

☆★FLASHBACK☆★

The air in the gym was stuffy from all the small basketball players breathing hard and sweating. It didn't help when parents were standing up screaming at their kids. They were Kindergartens, is what I wanted to tell those parents, but they wouldn't have listened.

I leaned back on my white fluffy coat that I had wrapped around the back of my chair. It gave me cushion since the chairs were a hard, cold metal. My mom sat on my right while my dad was on my left trying to hold it together. He was getting into the game and the fact that Matt wasn't trying his hardest made him even more anxious.

I looked over at my baby brother and saw him running down the court. He glanced up at the clock that had the score and time left on it. His hair was flopping around on top of his head as he ran. Matt glanced back at me, he had worry written all over his face. The next thing I knew, I was watching my brother fall to the ground with his eyes shut.

There was nothing there to trip him, not even his own feet tripped him. The gym erupted in talk as I burst up from my seat, my mom and dad following close behind. I fell to my knees next to Matt's head. He was so tiny, a 5-year-old. I felt tears at fog up my eyes but I couldn't reach up to wipe them away unless I let go of Matt's shirt.

That's when I was practically drug away from him as the ambulance grabbed him up.

That's when the buzzard went off and his team won.

That's when my world came crashing down.

☆★FLASHBACK OVER☆★

We soon learned that Matt had leukemia.

After that he took treatments at our local hospital and started to get better. It was so worrying, that was the time I fell from my social status. I stopped playing basketball with my team and some of the girls decided that I wasn't worth their time for ditching the team considering I was one of the best players. I never told them why, either. I don't ever plan on it.

Matt's in remission now. He has been since the end of first grade. It was the best time ever for us and now he's healthy. We were definitely lucky, that's for sure.

My dad held the door open for us as the warm air from the gym blasted me in the face. It warmed up my rosy red cheeks fast and I automatically felt warmer. Matt ran off to be with his team as I followed my mom and dad to our seats in the front row. I sat between them, like the last time I was here. I suddenly felt myself drifting into one of my daydreams until my mom pulled me back to reality.

"Are you okay honey?" She asked. I looked over at her and saw she had an arm resting on my shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I nodded my head. She knew though, she knew I was thinking about the last time we were here. She gave me a nod of acknowledgement and turned herself to watch the game. Matt was sitting in one of the chairs they had for the teams lined against the tan colored walls. He was looking at me like he needed me and shook his head.