Chapter Eleven: Stuck In The Storm

Chapter Eleven:

Stuck In The Storm

___________________________

Is this ever going be over? Detention was definitely the worst. Ms. Wiggins, the 56-year-old woman who was our guardian during detention, fell asleep on the desk in front of her. Ever since her eyes fluttered shut i wondered if she was still breathing. That woman needed to either retire or go home and never come back. Same thing, really.

I had to endure Cameron throwing paper balls at the back of my head for the rest of the hour. It was torturous not being able to turn around and choke him to death. I had a feeling that would just get me detention again. That was the last thing I wanted. So, I glared at the chalk board in the front of the room and allowed the hundreds of paper balls bounce off the back of my head.

I fixed the glasses on my face, wishing I had my contacts in instead. These stupid glasses were making it hard for me to put my head down and come back up without a mark on my nose. Of course, I had the option to take them off but that would involve me possibly losing them to Cameron or a paper ball.

As soon as we were allowed out of the school, I made my way towards the student parking lot. Then it hit me, literally. Cameron hit me with yet another paper ball while he was walking to his truck. I didn't have a ride home and guess what? The clouds in the sky only proved that it would start snowing soon. Feeling defeated, I trudged over to Cameron's truck just as he was getting in. When his eyes landed on me he rolled down his window and rested his elbow on it. 

"As much as I don't want to," I jokingly lied, "I need a ride home." I faked an annoyed look and watched as he put his truck in drive. 

"Well, I guess I could give a pretty lady a ride home." He said with a sly grin. My cheeks heated up when he called me pretty and I smiled, running to the other side of his truck. I tugged on the door and got it open before I jumped into it. Cameron started driving down the road. 

I watched the sides of the road how snow was piled up along them, covering the ditches. There was still a good bit of snow on the ground but in empty corn fields you could see the remaining corn stalks sticking up from the snow. it looked like a lot of fun to just run and jump into. 

"What's the deal with you and basketball?" Cameron suddenly asked, bringing me out of my train of thought. His face was serious now and I could tell he really wanted to know. I just shrugged my shoulders, not wanting to tell him about Matt. Besides, it wasn't his business, right? 

"I just kind of... stopped." I lied. i would have never just stopped playing basketball. I lived that sport. Heck, it was all I ever did. When I had free time, I was outside shooting hoops in our paved driveway no matter what the weather was. Raining, I had a rain coat on. Snowing, I had boots and a warm coat on. I gave it up for my little brother, to spend time with him and because I just couldn't play when we were so low on money. 

Cameron stared at me for a long moment as if trying to place something. I bit my bottom lip and stared at the yellow line in the middle of the road. Snow was beginning to fall, and fast to. You almost couldn't see in front of you. Cameron finally decided to keep his eyes on the road and left the subject be for a while. Hopefully he wouldn't bring it back up for a while. 

I leaned forward a turned the radio on, Rebecca Black's "Friday" was playing. I thought this song already had its days? This song got so annoying. How could it still be playing on the radio? Oh yeah, it's Friday! That still doesn't matter. I reached forward again to change the station but Cameron smacked my hand. I winced and pulled it back, staring at him in shock. He was to busy singing along with the song to notice he left a red mark on my hand.