Chapter Thirty-Four: A Long Night

A Long Night

_________

I couldn't believe that I had to travel all the way over to Tennessee with the boy who just broke up with me. I was having a hard enough time trying not to think about him and now being stuck in a car for however many hours was going to be even harder.

That Saturday, Cameron glumly took me over to my house and helped me pack up all my clothes and belongings. The rest, my mom said, would be packed up by the movers. I didn't know they would pack it up for us, but I didn't argue.

The remaining days of that week, I managed to hang out with Emma and tell her goodbye for a while.

We agreed to text, call, and FaceTime all the time. Emma is my first honest best friend and I didn't want that to end.

Once all my stuff was on the back of Cameron's truck, he stood at the opposite side of the truck and we looked at each other for a moment. I was the first one to move over to get in the truck. He followed afterwards. I made sure to get my iPod and headphones and kept them with me because I had a feeling I'd need them.

"I can't believe you're actually moving away." Cameron said. It was low and I thought he was talking to me but it was more to himself since he never looked at me. I felt guilty for a moment before realizing I don't need to feel guilty. He did this. He broke us up and now we can't be together.

But the butterflies I got every time we touched or he said my name never disappeared for a second. They were always there, haunting me of my feelings I still have for him.

A small part agrees with him. How in the world could it have worked? I don't know how long Matt's going to be in the hospital. All I knew was that I was willing to make every arrangement I could to see him as much as possible. But it seems that he wasn't as willing.

I decided to keep quiet. A conversation would be awkward right now. So, I leaned forward with my seatbelt holding me back and turned the radio on. That was much better. The next step was to plug my headphones in and put them in my ears before turning the volume halfway up.

I could see Cameron glancing over at me warily as I propped my elbow on the door and stared out the window. I wasn't in the mood for a conversation.

I flipped through the songs I had on my playlists and noticed that the battery was halfway down. I had my car charger, thank goodness, because I knew I would need it. But then I realized that Cameron's stupid truck didn't have a plug in. That was disappointing. I guess I don't get to play flappy bird now.

I had went through my one playlists of fifteen songs titled 'Favorites' one and a half times when Cameron started to pull over to the side of the road. I hadn't even noticed where we were at until now. Hay fields were surrounding all sides of us now with no sight of human life for next five miles or so. This grass had yet to be fully grown into hay for the farmers to make so it wasn't too high. A river was on the left side of the road which, for some stupid reason, is the way Cameron pulled off. Normally a person would pull off on the side they were driving on but Cameron here had to be difficult about it.

"What's wrong?" I asked after I pulled one earbud out of my ear. Cameron gave me a look of annoyance before he quickly and hastily jumped out of the truck. It was then that I noticed the black smoke coming out from the cracks of the hood. Alarmed, I threw my iPod down on the seat and jumped out the truck. Of course this would happen to me. Of course it would.

"What happened to it?" I whined, obviously annoyed as much as Cam was. He leaned both his elbows against the truck and covered his face with his hands in a stressful way.