Chapter Seven: I Know a Cute Couple When I See One

Chapter Seven:

I Know a Cute Couple When I See One

__________________________

Cameron's POV

I sat up in my seat at Sophia's kitchen table and waited for her to say what she was trying to say.
I came here earlier so that she could tutor me a little bit more. Instead, it turned out ot give me some of the most laughs I had in a long time. I also wanted to tell her about my disorder, but seeing that we were having a good time together, I didn't want to ruin it all by her feeling sorry for me. I hated it when people felt sorry for me and I wasn't about to let her do it.

"You know, you should smile more often. It makes you look," She pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes at me as if to find the right word, "Cuter." Blush crept her neck and rested on her cheeks. It didn't leave for a while, either. I smiled at her as she looked down at the book in front of her. I chuckled at her reaction and opened my book to the right page.

Sophia told me where to start off at and pointed to the paragraph that we ended at. I began to read slowly and tried to process each word so it wouldn't come out wrong. It was hard to do, to be honest. All the letters were jumbling in my head and I couldn't tell if one said dig or big. It was frustrating to no end.

Finally, after about a half an hour of reading and straining my brain, I asked Sophia if we could just stop for a while. She seemed to be studying me. Like she could just tell that's what was wrong with me. It may sound childish, but I honestly have a feeling that if she finds out she'll see me as...well... I don't know, weak? What would she think of me as?

Nothing, now quit being a baby and tell her so there are no more secrets. The voice in my head snapped at me. I mentally smacked myself in the head so it would leave me alone.

"Sure. Do you want to watch a movie or something?" Sophia asked as she stood up from her seat, her book locked in her arms. I arched an eyebrow at her offer, "What kind of movie?"
She shifted on her legs nervously and looked around the room, "I have a bunch in my room. Come pick some out and we can watch them down here with Matt." Before I could object, she turned on her heal and was walking up the steps.

I slammed my book shut and followed her up the steps. In her room, I admired the pictures she had of her and her family all in one of those boards girls put there pictures on. They were all of her and Matt when they were younger, along with some of her friends that I recognized from school. I never see her talking to those girls anymore, I wonder what happened to them. Maybe they got in one of those fights girls get into and don't talk to each other for a while. Then again, Sophia isn't the type of girl to hold a grudge.

My mind had a ton of questions floating around in it when I reached a picture that just about made my jaw drop. I turned around to see if Sophia was looking at me, she was digging around in her back pack with her book still her hands, mumbling to herself.

The picture was her -a little younger looking than now- sitting on a hospital bed with Matt against her. She had her arm slung around his frail shoulders while he was slumping down under her arm. Sophia was dressed in regular clothes, but Matt was in a hospital gown. He looked really different with no hair and a bandana wrapped around his skull. Did Matt have cancer? Does he still have it?