Chapter Fifteen: Mickey D's at Midnight

Chapter Fifteen:

Mickey D's at Midnight

_______________________________

Sophia's POV

"Thanks, Mom!" I called over my shoulder as Cameron and I walked out my sliding back door. I heard my mom yell a "you're welcome" before I sealed the door behind me. In my hands was a plastic bowl filled with green juicy grapes. Cameron picked a few out and dropped them in his mouth while we made our way closer to the tree house.

After we got all our supplies, the two of us got started immediately. Now, with it being 10:30 at night, I could definitely say that we deserved a break. We haven't even eaten yet so we decided on grapes for now. With all the hard work we did, we got done with the floor of the tree house. Amazing right?

I'm not tooting my horn or anything...

I handed Cameron the bowl of grapes while I climbed up the rope ladder we hung off the floor. He tossed them up to me and surprisingly didn't spill them. I caught them with ease and relaxed back on my hands as I looked up at the sky sprinkled with stars. Cameron sat on the other side of the bowl and sat criss-crossed on his butt.

"What do you think about me?" Cameron asked so suddenly. I turned my head to him and stared at the side of his face for a moment before pursing my lips.

Why would he ask me that question? How in the world was I supposed to answer it? I think you are so cute, Cam. I think I like you. No, you can't just tell somebody that. Or could you? I quickly shook my head to clear those thoughts as my mind flooded with images of us together. What would people at school say? They'd pick on me and give Cameron crap for just about everything they could think of. Not to mention Danielle. Even if she has been backing off, something bad would happen. Something bad always happens to me.

"W-What do you mean?" I asked him nervously. I kept my blush to a minimum and thanked the lord it was dark outside so he couldn't see it creeping up my neck.

"I mean, what do you think of me?" His question repeated itself inside my head until I got so nervous that I thought I was going to pass out.

"I think that, um..." I trailed off as my eyes caught glimose of the bowl of grapes, "I think you're amazing. And my best friend ever." I told him as I crawled closer. If only he knew I wasn't trying friendzone him. If only he knew I wanted him as more than a friend. That was a big dream of mine.

"Best friend, huh?" Cameron said. I heard the small ounce of saddness in his voice as he said it. A pang of guilt ran through me right then. That's when I grabbed a handul of grapes and plopped one in my mouth. He had no idea what was about to happen.

"Forever," I murmured before chucking my handful of grapes at his head. He was taken off guard and his face was priceless. Before I knew it, Cameron was picking up handfuls of grapes, standing to his feet and throwing them at my head. I dodged a few, but the others just his my face and bounced off it and landed on the floor of the tree house.

I grabbed a handful myself and threw them at them, most of them completely missing his head or any part of him. In my defense, I could barely see! I kept closing my eyes and shielding my face so that the grapes wouldn't hit me. It cut off my way of aiming.

Cameron stepped towards me with a lot more grapes in my palms. I stood there and prepared for what he was going to do. Instead, his foot landed in the bowl of grapes. He lunged forward -into me- and grabbed my shoulders so he wouldn't lose his balance or so I wouldn't either. I laughed so much I thought I was going to have abs for a moment there. Cameron laughed along with me and didn't bother to move away from me. Not that I mattered, though. In fact, I liked being this close. Even if the butterflies were about to bust out of my stomach at any moment, I liked it.