Chapter Twenty-Six: After

Chapter Twenty-Six:

After

___________

I found myself curled up in a ball in the corner of Cameron's hospital room. I had my knees pulled to my chest, arms wrapped around them, and chin resting on top of that. My eyes were just blue swirls of emptiness as I stared ahead. I didn't even have tears to cry anymore I they were dried up. It's been three hours since the incident and all I could do was think about how I wanted to literally kill Danielle. I wanted to make her feel this.... this emptiness.

My other half of my brain was thinking one thing and one thing only: I needed to see Matt. I knew this was going to be a tough road. I had to worry about Cameron waking up and having speaking problems on top of worrying about my little brother dying.

It won't happen, I told myself. I won't let Matt go. But those thoughts weren't as heavy right now. My mother would be the reason for that. She told me that the doctor said he'd be okay if he worked well with the treatments. She said it would hopefully be a quick recovery. She also said that I wouldn't be able to see him until next Friday, when they get back. They wanted to start treatments right away so it would be a week before they could come back. Then they'd have to go back soon once again. Just like last time. Except, last time, we had the money for it. This time, I don't think we do. The last treatments and checkups drained our bank account. How would we do it this time? I had already decided to go downtown and get a job at the Dairy Queen or something like that. Anything I could do, really.

Mom told me to concentrate on Cameron. And now I could say I really could because my mom didn't sound worried. Whether she was just being strong for me or she really was confident in the situation, I believed he'd be all right.

So, I sat here, for the last three hours as doctors came in and out, Cameron's friends came in and out. His parents weren't picking up their phones for me so there was no way to tell them. I called as soon as I possibly could, but there was no answer.

Another three hours passed, leaving me at 1:30 in the morning. My eyes refused to shut and I refused to eat or drink anything until I heard his voice again. Or even just his green eyes would make me happy.

I now had a blanket draped over me, courtesy of one of the lovely nurses. My legs were stiff when I stood up to stretch them. I had been sitting in a ball for so long that my legs were wobbly from the pressure.

I covered back up and sat down on the chair, making myself comfortable for the next long hours I'd have to endure.

I thought about what to tell Cameron's parents. The doctor said he'd be fine. He wasn't hit hard enough to cause death, but it was darn near close enough. They had to put a tube down his throat to help him breath since he wouldn't be able to that on his own. His voice would be gone for a couple of days due to the sourness and they put IV's in his arm to keep him hydrated and fed.

I didn't want them to rush home if they were on a business trip all the way in Winchester, so I wanted to let the doctor talk to them quickly and explain everything. I would then let them know that I won't be leaving his side.

So, to pass time, I stared at him. No matter how creepy it sounded, I stared at him. His jersey was no longer on him. They had ripped it off as soon as they got him in the ambulance and stuck heart monitor things (I guessed that's what they were called) on his bare chest. His color slowly came back after the put the tubes in his nose and down his throat, widening his air passage. They left his shorts on him and draped a hospital gown over his bare upper body.

I couldn't believe it was actually happening then. I couldn't stop rocking back and forth with worry once we got to the hospital. No one hardly noticed that I followed them hastily into the emergency room and watched everything they did. It was enough to give me nightmares. Event nightmares nowadays didn't involve anything that serious from when Matt was in his treatments. I never had to see any of that stuff.