Chapter Twenty-Three: Dazed and Red-Faced

Dazed and Red-Faced

____________

Thursday came bright and early. The day before game day, and as I found out before, there are big events going on today. For the school newspaper, Emma and I (she's my new partner) are going to be taking pictures of the pep rally and writing an article on how we think we'll win. I have no doubt that we have the cat in the bag in this game, but every time I've started to oat before a game, I lost.

So I'm trying hard not to.

I got dressed for school in a dark purple shirt and a pair of capris with flip flops for the warm weather. My hair was pulled back into a ponytail that reached past my shoulder blades.

Texting Cameron and telling him I'll see him at school, I rushed downstairs to eat breakfast with Matt before my mom can take him to school. He's said he feels better after resting for the one day and now he's ready to go to school to get his missing work. He has to miss tomorrow since my mom is taking him to his doctor in Tennessee. Yes, that far away. It's several hours away from here which is why my mom and dad are taking off work and going right after work this evening. I'll have the house to myself after school. Mom wants to make sure it's nothing serious so she decided to go all out for this. She's not taking any chances. I guess I don't blame her, but I wish it wasn't so far away.

So I'm on my own tomorrow. All day pretty much unless I spend it with Cameron and then go to the game with Emma, which I'm very much considering.

"Bye, Matty." I grabbed him up into my arms and kissed his head before I darted out the door.

At school I found my friends and boyfriend in the usual spot. And I was told some news that Cameron knew I wasn't going to agree on.

"I can't skip school." I told him as we walked down the hallway. He had my books in his arms so I wouldn't have to carry them while his were stuffed in his bag. I already tried and failed to get them back from him until I said yes to this whole pre-game ritual. They only do it before Championship games every year and only the players and their girlfriends or really close friends can come. That's why I've never heard of it.

I may have been the MVP for a little while on my basketball team when I played, but that doesn't make me popular. It didn't make me popular, clearly.

"It's a simple bonfire, Sophia. It's at the same beach we went to on our date and plus, I'll be there with you. It's one half day of school you'll be missing. Attendance doesn't count until next year, when we're seniors." He smiled down at me with a huge crooked grin stretched across his flawless face. It amazed me that I had a guy like him in my life.

"I don't know, Cameron. Emma and I were going to take pictures if the pep rally and everything." I reasoned with him. The last thing I wanted to do was go to a bonfire with a bunch of kids from school. I mean, it's not that I don't like any of them, but I don't know them. And half of the guys on the team have never even taken the time to learn my name and we've been classmates since kindergarten.

"The pep rally is right after lunch. So, whenever the pep rally's done, we'll leave which is the same thing everyone else is doing because the basketball players have to be at the pep rally. Sound good?" Cameron continued to talk enthusiastically about the idea even when we got to Mrs. Foster's class.

Cameron had been doing so well in this class now after I'd started tutoring him. You'd think that me now being his girlfriend would make him not want to work as hard, but I make sure he does. I go over this stuff with him right before a test. Because he usually doesn't pay attention during class, I have to pound the information into his brain before a test every time just about.