Chapter Thirty-Six: Home Sweet Home

Chapter Thirty-Six:

Home Sweet Home

____________________

Deuteronomy 5:16
"Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you."

"Turn here,"I pointed to my right and Cameron pulled the truck into my new driveway. My mom gave us the direction on the phone and I hung up with her just as we pulled into our road. Just as she said there would be, a one-story tan house sat where I would now call home.

I liked it; there was a wide garage door where the short driveway ends, connected to the house. There was already red flowers planted in the front from the previous owner, I guessed.

I looked over to see Cameron swallow and look out the window. This house was beautiful. Not as big as my old one, but it was good. It already felt like home because wherever my family was, that's where home was.

I hopped out of the truck as soon as it was put in park and grabbed the few bags I could. Without taking a second glance back at the truck or Cameron, the last piece of Virginia I had, I zoomed up to the front porch. Mom said it would be unlocked, so I wrapped my fingers around the doorknob and twisted it.

Inside, the house was bare. I walked down the short hallway that passed the bare, wood floor, living room and another door that was open. It was the bathroom. In the kitchen were a few empty McDonald's bags on the counter. Mom and dad must've come home at least once.

A note on the island in the middle of the open kitchen caught my eye. Maybe it was the bright pink sticky note, or the big 'Love Mom' written at the bottom. I grabbed the note like I couldn't live without it and read it carefully. It told me that my bedroom was third back the hall and to meet them at the hospital, third floor.

"What's that say?" Cameron's voice made me jump. I smiled a little at him, not wanting to rub it in that I didn't have to go back to Virginia and he did. Cameron gave me all the smile he could muster which was just the stretch of his lips.

"Um, my room is third back the hall. And mom wants us to meet her at the hospital after we get all my stuff in here." I said quietly, my energy level suddenly dropping. The look in Cameron's eyes kept me from moving for a moment as we stared at each other. Maybe I was feeling guilt?

Cameron looked down at the luggage in his hands and raised them up as if to tell me c'mon. I jerked back to reality and rushed down the hall. There were empty beds in each of the three bedrooms I passed. As soon as I reached the end of the hall, I took a right and there it was. My new bedroom. The walls were painted a light cream color and the bed was a canopy bed. I had a closet with those wooden sliding doors and a big window that looked out over the backyard. I sat my bags down and collapsed on the plastic-covered mattress. Someone must not have wanted this canopy bed. I didn't mind it.

I stood up and got a look of myself in a round mirror that hung on the wall.

"Ew. I need a shower. Do you wanna take one when I'm done?" I asked Cameron. He nodded his head as I grabbed some new clothes from my bag.

"I'll go grab the rest of the stuff and then check out the rest of the house." He said dismissively as he walked out the door. I forgot about the other bags. There should only be two more, so I'd thank Cameron later for helping me carry them in.

I hopped in the new shower and stood under the hot water for a few minutes. I couldn't wait to see my family again in just a little while. I wanted to hug them all so tight.