Chapter Twenty-Eight: Always There

Always There

__________

Cameron's POV

I rushed over to Sophia's side and kneeled down. Emma sat at Sophia's head with a panicked expression. I could only imagine what I looked like.

"Sophia?" I asked softly.

"It's okay, Cameron," Emma began, noticing the panic in my sore voice, "she's just asleep. Check her feet real quick." I picked up her feet and looked at them carefully. She had them wrapped up good, so she must not have been in too much of a crazy mood.

"It's fine." I informed Emma; she seemed like she knew what she was doing.

"Okay, pick her up and put her on the bed, if you can. I'll get some ice for her foot and some for your throat, your voice sounds horrible and it's still bruised." She made a face and darted out of the room.

I put my arm under Sophia's knees and under her back and lifted her easily. She was a small girl. I sat her down gently on the bed and pulled a blanket over her. Her hair was still wet from her shower, so I decided to put her on her side so maybe Emma could braid it.

Not even two minutes later, Emma came through the door quietly and gracefully with two bags of ice and dish towels to wrap the bags in. I took one from her hand and wrapped it in a dish rag. Then I lifted the bottom of Sophia's blanket and pressed it to the bottom of her foot. Hopefully this will help it. If it bled that much coming up the steps, it must be deep. I decided to take a look at it when she woke up.

"Here," Emma said calmly. I took the bag of ice from her hand and pressed it to my throat. It felt good on the bruises. I felt like such a wimp, the next time I see that kid, I'm not holding anything back. That goes for Danielle too, just not in a really violent way.

"Can you braid her hair? It's wet and she usually hates it when it dries all poofy, or so she says." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Yeah. Where are her hair ties?" She asked me and I realized she has never been here before. I gave her a soft smile and pointed to the bathroom, under the sink.

I settled down beside Sophia on her bed and put one arm under her neck, careful not to get in the way of her hair so Emma could get to it.

I remembered in the hospital when she fell asleep in the hospital bed with me before my family came. My arm had fallen asleep along with her and I wanted to move it badly but I kept it there so I didn't disturb her. Just those little things... Holy sh*t. I'm becoming a mushy romantic. What is Sophia doing to me? Not that I minded... that much.

Emma came back with a brush and a purple hair tie. She brushed out Sophia's hair and started to braid it which didn't take her long.

"Sophia's house is really pretty." Emma mentioned. I smiled at her.

"You should see the tree house in her backyard. Both of us built it, with some help from her dad, for Matt, her kid brother." I explained.

"Wow. I'll have to-" Her phone must have buzzed because she dug it out of her pocket and looked at it, frowning.

"I have to go. My mom wants me home for some dinner with her clients." She told me with a sad smile.

"Okay, well, thanks for helping me with her." I told her as she inched toward the door.

"Welcome. Take care of her."

I nodded in agreement.

Sophia budged about twenty minutes later. She had been talking in her sleep, frowning and gripping my shirt with her nails like I was going to leave at any moment.