Just A Game

"I can't even look at you right now, Kara!" Lena shouted.

Kara rolled her eyes. Lena really was overreacting.

"This is the worst thing you have ever done."

Lena's face was like steel. It was almost laughable. Alex walked into the room, looking cautiously between the two women on the couch.

"Everything ok in here?"

"Alex," Kara said impatiently. "Would you please explain to Lena that losing to me in Mario Kart is not the end of the world?"

Alex looked at Lena with a half afraid, half amused expression.

"You didn't just beat me," Lena began, and Kara could see the crazy in her eyes. "You threw a blue shell at me, then knocked me off of a cliff on the last lap, causing me to fall back eight places! Eight. Places. I went from first to ninth just meters away from the finish line, you b-"

"Lena, calm down!" Alex practically yelled. "It's just a game."

"Just a game?" Lena asked quietly. "Just a game?"

"Now you've done it," Kara muttered.

Lena then went on a rant about how Mario Kart needs specific strategies and reflexes and that she had never felt more betrayed than when Kara had ruined all the hard work she had put into getting past Bowser with a stupid power up and some quick maneuvering. The deeper Lena got into her spiel, the more and more Alex began to look like she thought they ought to have her committed. Kara sighed and took Lena's hands, looking sincerely into the eyes of her crazed fiancee.

"Lena, monkey, would you have been happy if I had let you win?"

Lena looked skeptical. She seemed to be thinking carefully about what Kara had just said.

"I suppose not," Lena finally answered.

"Wouldn't you much rather beat me because you're better than me?"

"Well, yes. That's true. Sorry, love, I didn't mean to get so worked up."

Lena became noticeably less tense, which allowed Alex to become less tense as well. The former relaxed into Kara's side and snuggled her head happily into Kara's shoulder. Alex gave Kara an impressed look. Kara only smiled and looked down at the content woman curled up at her side.

Hearing the doorknob rattle, all three people glanced curiously in the direction of the front door of Alex's apartment. The door slammed and the sound of little nails clicking behind heavy footsteps going in the direction of the kitchen.

"Just picked Merc up from the groomer's," Maggie called.

"My little boy's back!" Lena hollered and excitedly rushed into the kitchen.

Her exit was soon followed by very happy yipping sounds and some baby talk. Since getting Mercutio, Lena had developed quite the soft spot for the little creature. Kara thought it was endearing, but at the same time, she was kind of jealous.

"Monkey? Really?" Alex questioned, snapping Kara out of her thoughts.

Kara flushed. She didn't really want to explain her pet name to Alex. She didn't want to explain how every time she said it, she thought about how sexy Lena had looked in that Jane Goodall costume. It felt too personal to share, even with her sister.

"Yeah," she answered simply, leaving out the details.

Alex shrugged, dropping it when Lena came back into the room with Mercutio in her arms. Her green eyes twinkled as she promptly dropped the dog into Kara's lap. Merc wagged his tail and licked Kara's face, letting out a few more happy little barks.

"Care for a game?" Lena asked, picking up a controller and passing it to Maggie.

"Oh you're on," Maggie answered.

Alex and Kara gave each other looks that seemed to say, Here we go again.

"Let's make this interesting," Maggie added. "Loser buys drinks tonight at the alien bar."

"Ok, but that's not interesting enough," Lena said. "The winner and their partner get to be as intimate, sappy, romantic, and sickeningly adorable all night, and the loser and their partner aren't allowed to say anything about it."

"You're on," Maggie responded, a competitive gleam in her eye.

Suddenly, both Kara and Alex were very interested. Maggie and Lena spent the next ten minutes in complete and utter concentration. They spent the first two games neck in neck, but Lena smoked Maggie on Rainbow Road. Both she and Kara smirked at the other two dumbfounded women.

"The lack of walls and skinny track get me every time," Maggie muttered, moving into the kitchen to sulk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kara and Lena made out in the taxi the entire way over to the bar. Alex glared at Maggie the entire way over to the bar. Maggie sat awkwardly staring out the window the entire way over to the bar.

When they got there, Kara mentioned how beautifully the light reflected off of Lena's dark hair, and Lena compared Kara's eyes to the stars. Alex continued to glare. Naturally, Kara elected to sit on Lena's lap "to conserve space" and ordered fries for the sole purpose of feeding them to Lena. Lena ran her hand up the side of Kara's thigh, not once, but twice, raising her eyebrow the second time and making direct eye contact with Alex as if daring her to say something. Kara grinned. She was really enjoying this.

Alex and Maggie excused themselves to go play pool, Alex muttering something about Maggie's gambling problem.

"Not so fun when you're not benefitting from it, eh, Danvers?" Maggie grinned, successfully lightening the mood.

The rest of the night, Kara and Lena continued to be as annoyingly in love as possible. They played with each other's hair, and kissed each other's cheeks and foreheads, and exchanged smiles and flirty glances and pick up lines. In fact, they spent an entire fifteen minutes just repeating, "I love you," over and over again while Maggie beat her head on the table.

"So much for it being just a game," Lena whispered to Alex as the two couples parted ways.

Alex smiled ruefully at the brunette, who seemed awfully pleased with herself.

"Well played, Luthor," she responded. "Well played."

Kara gave her sister a quick hug, gave Maggie a quick fistbump, and exchanged one last long, drawn out kiss with Lena before taking off into the night with her girlfriend in her arms. The two women below them waved until they were out of sight.