One Smart Kid

(A/N Sorry guys, I know it's been a while, but a lot of stuff has been going on, so I haven't had the time or energy to write lately. But I finally got this done, so enjoy!)

 On the way back from the courthouse, Kara and Lena ran into a very familiar face. A beaming Ava called to them from the sandwich shop across the street, where she stood with her foster sister, Lindsay.

"Mrs. Luthor! Mrs. Danvers!" Ava called. "Hey!"

Kara smiled and crossed the street to say hello with Lena trailing behind. Ava beamed at them and pulled both Kara and Lena into a group hug.

"I told you to call me Kara," Kara laughs.

"And I'm Lena, remember?"

"Right," Ava nods, smiling. "Hi, Kara. Hi, Lena."

"Can I dump her with you two?" Lindsay asked. "I'm supposed to go see a movie with my friends, but she needed lunch, and my parents are working, so I had to take her."

"I'd love to spend some time with Ava!" Kara answered enthusiastically.

"Sure," Lena nodded. "That would be fun. I certainly don't mind watching her."

"Great! See ya, Ava!"

"So, what are we doing today?" Ava asked excitedly.

"We didn't really have anything planned," Kara chuckled.

"Yes, if I'm remembering correctly, your foster sister just said she was 'dumping' you with us. This is an impromptu day with you." Lena smirked. "I happen to know a place though."

As it turns out, the place Lena was referring to was a paintball place that she had discovered. Kara wondered why Lena liked paintball. It didn't seem like a very distinguished CEO thing. But there they were, in jumpsuits with loaded guns in their hands. When Lena said that she knew a place, she meant that she had some kind of influence over that place, so she had convinced the manager to give them the entire arena for half an hour while most of the staff took their lunch break. It seemed as though the manager trusted Lena to explain the game to Kara and Ava, and Kara once again wondered how often Lena had frequented this paintball place.

Lena didn't explain anything. She just started firing at Kara. Kara figured out how to work her gun pretty soon, and she and Ava ganged up on Lena, chasing her around with their guns on rapid fire. There was laughter and cheering when Kara shot Lena directly in the chest.

They left as soon as the employees all came back, and decided to head back to Kara and Lena's apartment for a chess tournament. Unsurprisingly, both Lena and Ava crushed Kara. Chess wasn't really the kryptonian's cup of tea. Then, the battle between the two masters commenced. It took over an hour for the game to win, and Lena was victorious, having taken Ava's king out with her rook. Kara was worried at first that Lena's enthusiasm would hurt Ava's feelings, considering Ava was twelve, but the girl only smiled good naturedly and challenged Lena to a rematch, saying that she would try this time. Kara snorted.

"You talk a lot of trash," Lena grinned.

"And you say nothing at all," Ava returned.

"I find victory in silence."

"Or maybe you're just not clever enough to think of anything good to say."

"Oh!" Kara yelled. "Shots fired!"

Lena smacked her arm playfully, and Ava giggled. The second game nearly doubled the time first, with both players refusing to let their king be captured. They had to settle on a draw in the end because they got down to the point where their kings were just pointlessly chasing each other around the board. Kara's stomach growled.

"Alright, Ava, it's dinnertime. I need to take you home."

"Ok, bye Lena! Can we fly there?" Ava asked enthusiastically.

Kara was taken aback and dropped her jaw as Lena cocked an eyebrow at the little girl, examining her curiously. Lena was the first one to speak.

"Ava, honey, Kara doesn't fly."

"Yes she does," Ava protested. "Supergirl has to fly all the time."

"But Ava," Kara began, sinking down to where Ava was seated. "I'm not Supergirl."

"Right. And Lena's not the CEO of L-Corp."

"Ok," Kara said. "I'm gonna call your foster mom and tell her that you're going to stay here for dinner. Is that ok? And then she can come pick you up in an hour or so. Clearly, we need to talk about something."

Ava shrugged and marched into the kitchen, making herself at home. Lena took a seat next to her at the table, and Kara moved to sit across from her so that she could look the girl in the eyes.

"What makes you think I'm Supergirl?" Kara questioned, careful not to confirm anything, but Ava would not be deterred.

"First of all, I don't think, I know. Secondly, Lena flirts with Supergirl almost as much as she flirts with you. Plus, you disappeared whenever Supergirl flew in at your wedding, and you asked me to be your flower girl the first time you met me because you said that Supergirl and Lena had both spoken so highly of me. And you and your sister don't do the best job hiding your relationship when your Supergirl. I've been around you with Alex as both Kara and Supergirl, and you act exactly the same."

"And how exactly did you figure all of this out? How did you manage to put two and two together when most adults can't even do that?" Lena asked, sounding more impressed than anything.

"I was already smart, but hanging out around L-Corp's genius CEO didn't do anything to make me less observant."

Lena seemed to flush with pride, and Kara could only think that she was not helping.

"I won't tell anyone, I promise," Ava said. "I wouldn't do that. You can trust me."

"I know," Kara sighed. "I know, but it's a big secret to keep, and I didn't want you to have to keep it."

"Please don't worry about me. I'm fine," the little girl assured her. "Now, I'm starving. What's Lena making?"

"I dunno," Kara said. "Whatever Lena wants to make I guess."

"Lasagna," Lena said decidedly, pushing her chair in. "We are making lasagna. Everybody's eating, so everybody's helping."

Both Ava and Kara groaned but obliged. Lena gave up and sent them out of the kitchen after a few minutes, though, when Kara ended up covered in flour.

"We weren't even using flower!" she yelled in exasperation.

"It fell," Ava answered.

"Yeah, after you dumped it out over my head!" Kara pouted.

"Enough!" Lena demanded. "You two argue like children. Ava, set the table. Kara, go take a shower. Dinner should be ready in fifteen minutes. Please try not to kill each other until then."

"Fine," the two troublemakers chorused, exiting to do their respective duties.

After dinner, Ava's mom came to pick her up. As promised, Ava kept her mouth shut about Supergirl. As the door closed behind Ava, Lena pulled Kara to her and whispered in her ear.

"That is one smart kid."

Kara laughed and kissed the side of Lena's head, nodding in agreement.