Exhaustion

(A/N Kara and Lena have been under a lot of stress lately, so this honeymoon is a well deserved break. I promise you'll have at least two chapters of sunshine and blue skies, both metaphorically and literally.)

Kara sat straight up in bed. Bed. Why was she in bed? The last thing she remembered was Lena's arms around her. Lena had whispered something about fainting. Had she fainted? Lena. Where was Lena?

"Lena," Kara croaked.

She felt a hand take her own and squeeze. She looked to her left and saw Lena at her bedside. She was in a hospital room in the DEO. Her shoulder was bandaged.

"I'm right here, love," Lena smiled. "Did you sleep well?"

"How long was I out?"

"Twelve hours. Alex helped me carry you in, and then she bandaged up your arm and let you sleep."

Kara looked down to find that she was still in her wedding dress. She blushed.

"So much for a romantic wedding night."

"You saved my life. That seems awfully romantic to me. You're basically my knight in shining armor."

"Well, you weren't exactly a damsel in distress," Kara scoffed.

She noticed that her shoulder wasn't throbbing painfully anymore. All that was left was a dull ache. She put her hand gingerly over the bandage.

"I'm guessing Alex took the Kryptonite out."

"Yeah. You were pretty pitiful until she did. You may be able to control your tremors when you're awake, but your arm shook while you were asleep. I didn't know that Kryptonite affected you that badly."

"You never were supposed to know."

"But I do," Lena chastised. "You're not supposed to hide your pain from me, Kara."

"I know." Kara hung her head. "I'm sorry. It's a habit."

"Alright, whatever. Mind if I climb up next to you? I'm exhausted. We leave for the island in fourteen hours. Alex booked us a flight after coming in to check on you a little while ago."

"Not at all."

Kara smiled and scooted over, allowing Lena to snuggle into the bed beside her. She wrapped her arm around Lena's shoulders and hummed Kryptonian lullabies until the brunette was asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kara groaned as she waited at the airport terminal. Two hour delay. They couldn't leave for another two hours. It would be so much faster if Lena would just let her fly there.

"Don't give me those puppy dog eyes!" Lena protested. "I'm not comfortable with being carried across the sea to a tiny island, no matter how strong you are or how fast it would go. Can you please just accept that and wait for the plane?"

"Come on, Lena," Kara pleaded. "It would be so much faster! I promise that I won't drop you. I can even make two trips if you'd like- one to the island with you, the second one to get our stuff."

"Fine," Lena caved. "But I'm staying here. Your first trip can be with our stuff. I want to get some food."

Kara grinned and gave Lena a quick kiss on the cheek before loading her arms with their luggage.

"Thanks babe," she called over her shoulder. "I'll see you in like fifteen minutes."

She was back in ten. Still, Lena complained about how long she had taken and gave her a very long kiss. Then, she climbed on Kara's back and whispered "Go" in her ear. Kara swallowed hard and nodded, taking off into the sky. She got to the island quickly. Lena tried her best to appear calm and collected, but her iron tight grip on Kara's shoulders betrayed her true feelings about the situation. Kara landed less than gracefully on the island and bent over immediately after setting Lena down, her hands on her knees as she tried to catch her breath. Her head was spinning. Lena rested her hand gingerly on the small of Kara's back.

"Are you alright, love?"

"Yeah," Kara breathed. "Exhausted, but alright. It might not have been the best decision to use my powers so soon after Kryptonite exposure."

"You don't have to use your powers the rest of the trip," Lena assured her. "Here. Let me help you into our hut."

She held her arm out to Kara and supported the superhero's weight with an ease that surprised Kara. Kara gave Lena an amused look.

"Have you been working out?"

Lena blushed. The two women stepped inside of the little place made out of bamboo. Kara thought about the hot, sweaty days under the sun she had spent building it.

"Wow," Lena marveled. "This is amazing! Kara, did you really build this?"

"Yup. Alex helped a little bit with construction, but I have super strength, so I was able to do most of it myself."

"Well, it's gorgeous," Lena complimented.

"You're gorgeous," Kara said. "I'm glad you like it."

Lena raised her eyebrows, an amused grin crossing her face.

"Is Kara Danvers flirting?"

"You'd better believe it, babe," Kara laughed, pressing a kiss to Lena's lips.

She leaned into Lena and almost knocked them both onto the ground. Lena helped her over to the little chaise that Kara had set up in front of the bed and sat behind her, playing with Kara's hair.

"My poor superhero. You're exhausted, Kara. You're pale and shaky and sweating. This vacation will definetly do you some good."

Kara collapsed into Lena's chest. She really was tired. It had been a very stressful couple of weeks. She had been planning for the wedding, and she had also had to keep up her Supergirl/DEO and reporter duties. Snapper had been breathing down her neck, making sure that she was still pulling her weight around the office even though something major was happening in her personal life, and there had been an incident involving the attempted start up of a National City gang, which turned out to be just a bunch of buff white guys with anger issues. Plus, fighting Lex, his goons, and his Kryptonite bullet had taken a lot out of her. Lena was right: Kara did need this vacation.

"Can we just go to bed?" Kara asked, her heavy eyelids already starting to droop.

"Of course, love," Lena answered.

Kara let her aching muscles sink into the mattress and closed her eyes. She let out a happy sigh. Lena pulled the covers over her and pressed a light kiss to Kara's forehead before climbing into the other side of the bed. Kara curled up into a ball against Lena's side.

"In bed before nine o'clock," Lena murmured. Kara could practically hear her lips curling into a smile. "That hasn't happened since I was twelve."

Kara only snuggled closer to Lena in response. She was more relaxed than she had been in months. The sound of the waves crashing against the shore outside lulled Kara into a heavy, dreamless sleep, but even better was the sound of Lena's steadily beating heart.