Teaching Lena Luthor To Swim

Lena absolutely loved the tiny island. Kara knew she had definitely made the right decision when she had made this their honeymoon destination every time she saw Lena's face light up as she ogled at another aspect, like the crystal clear waters, the pleasant sunshine, the white sand that looked like it had been bleached.

She was also filled with praise for Kara's craftsmanship. She examined the little hut that Kara had assembled with great care, commenting on how beautiful Kara's choice of wood was or how she really had a knack for picking just the right place for a window.

Another thing Kara enjoyed was Lena's beach behavior. It hadn't gone unnoticed that her wife had extremely fair skin, but Kara hadn't realized just how fair it was. Lena slathered on 50 spf sunblock every two hours to keep from getting burned. Lena also refused to go farther than ankle deep into the ocean for at least the first two days they were there. She was very jumpy about the creatures that called the sea their home, but it did help that she could see where they were in the clear caribbean waters. On their third day out on the beach, Kara discovered that Lena didn't know how to swim.

"What do you mean, you don't know how to swim?" Kara asked, trying hard not to laugh.

"I just don't, ok?" Lena mumbled. "I never learned; the Luthors never bothered to teach me when I was growing up, and after that, it felt silly to try to take lessons. Imagine that, a twenty-something year old woman taking swim lessons."

"I don't have to, I have you right in front of me."

"You're not seriously insinuating that-"

"I'm going to teach you how to swim!" Kara announced gleefully.

Then, Lena ran away. It wasn't the smartest move, considering that, even though Kara was still too wiped out to use her super speed, she was in much better shape than Lena and could run a lot faster, but Lena ran nonetheless. She sprinted down the beach. Laughing, Kara caught her easily and pulled her into a loose embrace.

"Are you afraid?" she teased, giving Lena a little peck.

"Maybe," the CEO mumbled.

"Lena, there's nothing to be afraid of," Kara laughed.

It took a lot of coaxing, but eventually Kara had Lena about waist deep in the water. Lena looked around nervously and strengthened her grip on Kara's arm.

"It's ok, daor, I've got you," Kara said, putting her free hand around Lena's waist. "Do you at least know how to float on your back?"

Lena shook her head. Kara sighed and moved her other hand down to Lena's waist as well.

"Alright, lean back and let your back hit the water, like you're lying down."

Lena gave her a look that screamed, Are you crazy? Kara laughed and readjusted her hold on Lena's hips.

"Hey, it's ok, I promise. Remember, I've got you. Trust me. Just lean back, babe."

The shaking woman did as she was instructed. Kara placed her hands under her back and held her afloat, admiring the way her wife's raven locks drifted carelessly around her head. Lena's expression was still nervous. Kara locked eyes with her and gave her a reassuring smile.

"You're doing great. See? Not so bad. I'm going to let go now."

Lena panicked and flailed her arms as soon as Kara's hands slid out from under her back, which caused her to sink. She came up sputtering. Kara was dying of laughter. Lena glared daggers at her wife and splashed her angrily.

"It's not funny!"

"S-sorry," Kara forced out. "I know, I know. I'm sorry. You just... you look so... r-ridiculous!"

She continued to howl with laughter, her whole body shaking. Lena did her best to look intimidating while salt water dripped from her hair. Kara kissed her chastely and tasted salt. Lena kissed her back, hard, wrapping her legs around Kara's waist and pressing her body against her. Soon, Kara found herself underwater. Lena had pushed her underwater! It was Kara's turn to come up sputtering and Lena's turn to giggle at her sopping wet girlfriend. Kara frowned.

"Let's try floating again, ok? Watch me."

Kara easily floated on her back, enjoying the feel of the cool sea water against her back. She looked up at Lena, who seemed to be examining Kara's posture and body position, or possibly admiring her abs. Maybe both. Kara stood back up and smirked.

"Alright, you try. I'm going to hold you again, and then I'm going to let go, and I want you to stay floating, so that means no moving. Just stay still. If you start to sink, push the water with your arms a bit, but slowly, and don't panic, ok?"

Lena nodded, and they repeated the process from earlier. This time, when Kara let go, Lena did as she was told. Kara heard her heart rate pick up, but she stayed still, and it worked. Lena floated on her back. She seemed so proud of herself once she got back to a standing position and wrapped Kara in the biggest hug.

"Look! I did it!"

"That you did, beautiful. That you did. Now you've just gotta learn to swim. I think we'll just try doggy paddling today, and then regular swimming tomorrow, possibly backstroke."

"What all are you going to teach me?" Lena asked.

"Whatever you wanna learn."

By the end of the day, both Kara and Lena had pruned, salty skin, but Lena could doggy paddle. She had actually picked it up pretty fast, but she had insisted on practicing for a good two and a half hours after lunch. Kara had laughed at how enthusiastic her wife was about swimming.

"See? Aren't you glad you let me teach you?" she asked, smirking.

"Yeah," Lena admitted. "Thank you, Kara. This trip is turning out wonderful."

"I'm glad you think so," Kara answered, pressing a kiss to Lena's hair. "Now, let's go get showered and changed. The sun's starting to go down, and I don't want you to get cold."

"Can we watch the sunset before we go in?" Lena pleaded. "It's so gorgeous."

"You're gorgeous," Kara said. "And of course we can."

"That's the second time you've said that to me this trip," Lena remarked, raising her eyebrows.

"Well, it's true. You are."

"Thank you, love."

Lena sat on Kara's lap as they watched the sun set over the horizon. Kara wrapped her arms around Lena, loosely at first, but tighter when Lena began to shiver. She pressed her face into the crook of Lena's neck.

"I love you, Lena," she whispered against her skin.

"I love you, too."