Supergirl's New Friend

"Supergirl! The criminals have a hold of a school bus and are threatening to drive it off of a cliff if the cops don't let them go."

J'onn's voice echoed in Kara's earpiece. She felt her blood boil. She hated the criminals who targeted kids more than any others.

"I'm on it," Kara answered, her voice cold.

She soared through the sky and touched down on top of a yellow school bus filled with about thirty or so middle school aged children. The pair of criminals, a rough looking woman and a meager looking man, turned around. The woman glared at her and aimed her gun at Kara's chest.

"How many times do I have to tell you guys that bullets don't work on me," she groaned, shielding all of the schoolchildren with her cape as the woman opened fire. She wrestled the gun easily from the criminal's grasp and threw her out of the bus's emergency exit hatchet for the police to deal with. The man raised his hands in surrender, and Kara grabbed his shirt collar, dragging him into the sky and shoving him forcefully into the back of one of the three police cars parked near the bus.

Immediately, concerned parents began to rush forward to thank her and claim their respective children. Kara waited until all of the children had found their mothers or fathers. About an hour later, there was only one child left, who looked sat criss cross on the ground, looking sad.

"Hi, sweetie," Kara said, crouching down beside the little girl. "Where are your parents?"

"Not coming," was all the girl said.

"Why not?" Kara plopped down beside the girl so that they were sitting shoulder to shoulder with their backs against the abandoned bus.

"Because they don't want me. And my foster parents are out of town."

"Who are you staying with?" Kara asked, concerned.

"My foster sister, but she doesn't care enough to know what bus I ride home on."

"Do you need a lift?"

"Kind of," the girl mumbled.

Kara stood up and helped the kid to her feet, then turned with her back to her and said, "Hop on."

"What?" the girl's voice was laced with disbelief.

"You heard me. And, while you're at it, tell me where you like to eat. It's dinner time, and I'm starving. Saving a busload of middle schoolers takes a lot out of you."

She felt the girl gingerly climb onto her back and loop her legs around Kara's waist.

"Wherever you want to eat is fine. I'm hungry, too."

"Alright," Kara grinned. "Hold on tight."

She jumped into the sky and heard the kid whoop and holler with delight. Kara sped up, her smile getting wider every second. In less than five minutes, they were in front of a local pizza place. She touched down, letting the kid climb easily off of her back.

"I hope you like pizza because I want to order a large."

"Are you kidding?" the girl practically yelled. "I love pizza! You're crazy if you don't!"

"Thank you! Superman won't let me order it anymore because he says I get 'too much,' like there's such thing as too much pizza."

The girl giggled and held out her little hand.

"I'm Ava, by the way."

Kara took it.

"Nice to meet you, Ava."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After stuffing their faces, Kara and Ava sauntered happily through the pizza parlour doors and took off once again into the sky. They had attracted quite a bit of attention, and Kara was certain that Ava would have plenty of new friends tomorrow at school. She flew Ava to a little two story house with a green front door, and the two went inside. Immediately after the door closed, the annoyed voice of a teenage girl rang through the house.

"Hey twerp, you were supposed to come home right after school," she called.

"Sorry, Lindsay, there was an accident," Ava said.

"You'd better hope there was. You made me miss- Supergirl?" Lindsay's eyes grew wide as she looked at Kara, and her jaw dropped.

"Hello," Kara nodded curtly. "I'm sorry if we ruined your evening. I took Ava out for pizza after a rather scarring experience on her school bus today."

Lindsay's eyes seemed to soften as she glanced at her foster sister.

"You were on that bus?" she said quietly. "Ava, I'm so sorry."

"Don't worry about it," Ava blushed. "I'm fine. I was with Supergirl."

"I can see that," Lindsay responded, still looking dumbfounded.

"Well, I should get going. It was nice hanging out with you, Ava. Would you mind if I picked you up from school tomorrow? We could go get some ice cream or something. A superhero doesn't get to have very many friends."

"We're friends?" Ava asked.

Kara smiled and nodded, giving the girl a quick hug.

"Bye! See you tomorrow!" she called over her shoulder.

"Goodbye, Supergirl!"

Kara used her super hearing to eavesdrop on the foster siblings.

"I can't believe you're friends with Supergirl," Lindsay breathed.

"Neither can I," Ava gushed. "Can you believe it? Supergirl's my friend. We're going for ice cream tomorrow!"

Kara smiled for what seemed like the hundredth time that night. She had done good, today.